Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rados

VB.net and VC.net

rados    127
I am trying to share source codes between Visual Basec .net and Visual C++ .net. So far I managed somehow to transfer VC code to VB but I CAN''T get the VB code to work in VC! If anyone knows how to do this please reply. P.S. I don''t want use DLL-s to do this...

Arild Fines    968
You need to provide more information. You say VC++.NET and VB.NET - do you mean Managed C++ or native C++? If you want to expose VB.NET objects to unmanaged C++, you need to do it through COM by creating a CCW(COM Callable Wrapper) for your VB.NET assembly. When you register the object, you can use it from VC++ as any other COM object.
VB.NET to MC++ is easier - you don''t need the CCW since MC++ can easily reference managed assemblies with the #using directive.

quote:

P.S. I don''t want use DLL-s to do this...

That will be hard to avoid, since DLL''s are the fundamental piece of code reuse in both the COM and .NET environments.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

The_Trooper    122
I think he means that he wants to import code directly from VB to VC, like you can directly import a VC.Net class to VB.Net by "Add Reference" dialog. The problem is that there is no "Add Reference" in VC.Net.

Arild Fines    968
Thats what the #using directive is for. Eg - #using "Assembly.Name.dll"

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. - Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

alexmoura    450
Magmai, as far as I know you are absolutely correct - #using or add reference are referencing Dll''s, and more specifically >Net Dlls (they could be managed COM wrappers, but .Net Dll anyway).

You know, I never wanted to be a programmer...

Alexandre Moura

thona    100
"Add Reference" does not load a dll. It makes a DLL availablee during compilation.

For native managed assemblies this means adding it to the compiler line.

For COM assemblies this means:
(a) generating a wrapper DLL and
(b) adding this to the compiler line.

What about reading documentation, folks? And having a look on how interop works on the command line - then you would understand this immediatly :-)

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)