Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silvermace

Im faced with a paralaxish problem...

silvermace    634
first question .. does anyone know how to convert a few Triangle strips into a single Triangle FAN ?? second question .. im writing a game engine which uses quake3 level data (yes, "not another fucking q3 renderer!"), anyway, instead of mixing my GL code with my Code, i went the API idependant renderer way . which, did infact make my job 30x harder and about 35x more interesting .. so, my problem? ive got the normal polygon faces rendering fine, the beziers render fine (lightmaps, textures & all!). (btw. the renderer is using vertex arrays) so, i go to enable all the visible faces just before i start to render, this speeds things up quite a bit .. but .. to enable my patch information, i have to enable each triangle strip which makes up that patch, this takes longer than if i just brute force the patches (ie, not culling!) can anyone suggest a solution ? ANY HELP !!! thanx

RobTheBloke    2553
quote:
Original post by silvermace
first question ..
does anyone know how to convert a few Triangle strips into a single Triangle FAN ??

Why bother.

quote:

instead of mixing my GL code with my Code, i went the API idependant renderer way . which, did infact make my job 30x harder and about 35x more interesting ..

use dll''s and your own COM interface for the renderer. In each dll support a different API.

quote:

so, i go to enable all the visible faces just before i start to render, this speeds things up quite a bit .. but .. to enable my patch information, i have to enable each triangle strip which makes up that patch, this takes longer than if i just brute force the patches (ie, not culling!)

pardon? From what I gather, you are testing every polygon manually to see if they are in the viewing frustum. Correct? If that''s the case then dont. It would be a better alternative to test a bounding box around the abject and then just draw the whole thing if visible. The graphics card is likely to be faster at performing the culling operations than you will.

p.s. Have you had a look at the glMultiDrawArrays extension? This may help with your patches.