Electronic/Orchestral fusion

Started by
1 comment, last by krikkit 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi there folks, I''m currently getting some thoughts and theories in order for a paper of some sort, and I''d like help in finding data to ponder over: What composers and songs can you think of that have attempted to fuse orchestral with electronic? No limit on what you are thinking of, be it Hans Zimmer or Richard jacques. The only style I am not interested in is pseudo-orchestral techno, ie somebody''s trance remix of fur elise. I mean the actual combination of electronic music with live-recorded symphonic music. I would really appreciate it if I could be thrown some names or titles! -Krikkit
Advertisement
Jerry Goldsmith is a top-notch film composer who loves to use electronic sounds in his orchestral scores, even if they sometimes sound like they don''t belong. Just check out his scores to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Legend, and the Omen trilogy.

Vangelis certainly also uses electronic synths in his scores, almost to a point where he doesn''t require an orchestra at all. His best examples are his scores to Blade Runner and 1492: Conquest of Paradise.

And pretty much everyone in Zimmer''s Media Ventures group has used electronics at some point. Theirs is more the driving, rock/techno influenced style, which I tend to steer clear of.

And finally, Wendy Carlos used electronics in the movie A Clockwork Orange along with various classical pieces. He also scored Tron, but I can''t remember that score well enough to comment on it.
Check out David Arnolds "World is not enough"...The boat race is a brilliant example of what you are looking for...

Alex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement