Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JackRabbit

Test my sidescroller

Hi all! Im currently writing a little sidescroller on my spare time. In its current state all you can do is run around with a guy on the levels. No enemies yet. Was wondering if someone would like to test it for me. All i want you to do is move through the 2 test-levels with the guy. Then just post your system specs and frame-rate. NOTE: I want the frame-rate you get when you turn OFF WaitForVerticalRetrace. See list below. Here's the keys for controlling the game: Arrow-left: Move left Arrow-right: Move right Space: Jump F2: Toggle window/fullscreen mode. F5: Activate WaitForVerticalRetrace F6: De-activate WaitForVerticalRetrace F12: Returns the guy to the world if he falls through. Heres a list of the bugs i know about: If the game stops for a while, caused bye HD-activity or whatever, the guy might fall trough the world. This is beacuse im using the time elapsed between frames to sync his movement. So if the game pauses for a long while, the player will moved out of the world before the collision detection routine gets him. However, i will have this taken care of in a few days. Dont go of the left and right edges of the world. No bounds checking there yet. Same thing for top and bottom edges. Getting to that soon. Hmm, pretty much all i can think of right now, if you find anything else, post here, or drop me a mail at jocke_s19@hotmail.com I also use that mail for MSN messenger if you want to talk to directly. Pick up the game here Oh yeah, if, when the game starts, the player isnt there, just press F12 to restore him. Do it again if it fails the first time. PS: Sorry for all the bugs in the program, but i have a daytime job as a WebDeveloper, so i dont have as much time as i would like to on this projekt. Thanks for your time EDIT: Damn brinkster! Wont let me link to the zip directly. Oh well, try it now and it should work. [edited by - JackRabbit on October 12, 2002 8:16:00 AM]

Cool, I got 60 fps on my laptop (1GHz Celeron, Trident built in display) in fullscreen with WaitForVTrace on, 190 FPS with it off. When I hit F2 to go to windowed mode, it did not seem to change. Something happened, I just don''t know what, the screen flashed and the frame rate dropped to 2 fps, but it did not seem to be in windowed mode or else it was a popup window the size of the desktop. There is kind of a strange bug where you can "stick" to the edge of a tile as you are falling if you run at the tile while falling. It''s most noticeable in the second level in the tight tunnel near the beginning.
Looks like good progress though!

Thanks!

WHen u hit F2 to go to windowed mode, the window will be the same size as the screen, hence the pixels are all stretched, hence the low frame rate. A friend of mine has a laptop with specs like yours, with a GeForce2. However, on his system, the framerate doesnt go above 50 fps in fullscreen mode, even with VSync off. Damn strange. But i tested the game on my P120 MHZ
22 MB RAM and it ran at about 30-40 fps.

Anyways, the window mode wont be included when the game is finished. I only use for debugging.

About the "stick to edge when falling" bug, i''ve noticed this also. Not really sure yet why it happens, but will look in to it ASAP.

PS:
In the top level dir for the game, there is a file called GameInit.txt
This file contains some startup settings for the game, like screenmode, fullscreen/window, and level to load.
If you want to play around with diffrent screen modes, be my guest, but beware, you will have alot of artifacts on the screen beacuse the background image is 640x480 in size, so the screen will be distorted if you use other modes. However the game should run in any other screen mode, it just wont look very nice.

Thanks a million for your time!

May the God of Code smile on you :D

Hey, nice game!
I got 60 steady on my PII 300 MMX, 64 MB RAM.
About 200 when i turned off WaitForVerticalRetrace.

Looking forward to try it out when it gets more complete. Looks like it could be real fun.

/John

Thanks Funky, glad you enjoyed it!

Nice to see the game working good on computers other than my own.
Im currently designing the enemy/AI system for the game, and doing some housekeeping in the code. Cleaning up experiment code and stuff like that.
There should be some enemies to play with by the end of this week.

Oh yeah, if anyone is would be interested in seeing the code, i'll be more than happy to email it. The program is written in C++ with an OO'ed design approach(well im trying anyway ).

Thanks alot for the replies guys!

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 1, 2002 4:23:48 PM]

[edited by - jackrabbit on October 1, 2002 5:20:16 PM]

Nice game!
i got about 25 FPS in fullscreen mode and 3~4 FPS in window mode, system info: PII 550MHZ, TNT2 16M.(i don''t know how to turn off that VSync thing, so was it on or off? i can''t answer).

I have some few questions to ask
Have u drew the graphics yourself? Cause they look fun enough to make a cool game

How is your tile engine looking like?

Hi remi!
Thanks for replying!

Hmm, thats a very low framerate, must be your TNT card, cause i have got 30-40 on 120MHZ, so i should run very smooth on your system.
There also seem to be problems with GeForce cards, especially in window mode where some people have report framerates like yours.

Try setting the bitdepth to a higher value in GameInit.txt
The game is designed for 8 bit, but should work just fine in other mode, however, som tile wont be rendered with transparency.

About the graphics:
No i have not made them. I found them on a Free game art page, somewhere, though i have long since forgotten the link. Have no idea about author of the art. BTW, a big thanks to one made them, who ever you are! Thanks
Right now im planning on keeping the graphics. The game will be
compleatly free and open-source.

About the tileengine:

Nothing fancy about it, plain square tiles,32x32 in size.
The map positions have flags the specify which sides is blocking,
left,top,right,bottom. I have also started on a trigger system for the levels. Right now theres only one trigger type, the level exit, which points to the next level to be loaded.

Thanks again for posting!

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 2, 2002 6:19:36 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I got around 100 fps in fullscreen with 708Mhz Celeron II with TNT2, and around 70 in level 2. Dunno was that retrace on or off.

I was also able to jump through solid walls in level 2, in the tight tunnels, must be a bug of some sort.

There was roof over the character directly above and I was pressing wildly space,left arrow and right arrow Happened couple times, but I don''t know exactly what to do to get that happen.

- Kosmo

The ''move through wall'' bug you mension happens for the same reason that i stated in my original post. I tryed the same thing you did, press jump, and all arrow keys. When u do that, the keyboard buffer gets full and the you hear that beep from the computer. WHen that happens the game pauses for a bit, and the player falls through. You will probaly notice the frame rate drop a bit also.

PS:
Vsync is turned ON by default.

Thanks for replying!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well I didn''t drop trough floor, but jump trough roof of the tunnel. And I don''t hear that buffer beep, but that maybe ''cause my beeper isn''t connected.

- Kosmo

ps. how do you get out from the game

Ooops! didnt specifie that huh ? DOH Sorry! i havent set a key to end the game, just hit ALT-F4.

Boy, do i feel like an ass now

Oh yeah, about the collision.
The bug applies to all direction of movement, not just down. Up,left and right experience the same thing, but it is most noticable on up and down directions.
Gona fix that when i get around to it. Most likely ill post an update with 5-6 days or so. Should be taken care of then.

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 2, 2002 10:04:09 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I tested it on my laptop (just for fun) :D specs P2 300 32megs ram and 2d only video card with 2 megs of ram Killer huh :D
I got on average ~58 fps both with the raytrace on and off... Just a tecknical question... what is in developed with (libries etc.) Because I''m trying to do the same :D My gf LOVES the ols mario games for SNES...

Hi AP!

Im using VC++ 6.0 to develop the game. For graphics im using DirectX 7.

The levels are renderd using normal square tiles 32x32. Nothing fancy about it.

If you need any help with your projekt, dont hesitate(how to spell??) to ask. Ill gladly help any way i can.

Thanks for your time.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who tested my game.
The feedback have been very positive, and that keeps me motivated.
Although, there were some problems, the game works for most of you, atleast in fullscreen mode .

Ill try to resolve the problems asap, and post an update shortly(Which hopfully will have some enemies in it ).

The collision bug might take a bit longer though. So if anyone have any ideas on that one, please let me know.

Thanks again for your time!

Posted an update today. I started on the enemy system, and put a few ugly birds on the maps. They dont do anything really. Just move downward until they hit the ground.

Get it
here

PS:
I noticed som glitches on the sprite animations, for the hero and birds. Havent seen this before though.

PSS:
Collision is still not fixed.

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 3, 2002 10:51:13 AM]

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 3, 2002 10:57:50 AM]

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 12, 2002 8:17:21 AM]

Nice game. I got a frame rate in the upper 50''s, but haven''t had the time to go through much of it. I have a Pentium III 1GHz, Geforce2Go 16MB, 256 MB RAM, running Windows XP. You may want to add an easier way to exit the game. The only real problem I had was a major crash when I tried to go into windowed mode. Since you say you are going to remove that, don''t worry about it. ;p

The Group Project
http://www.celestialwake.com

Thanks DemiGod!

Yeah, ill add a better way to exit, like pressing ESC instead of ALT-F4.

Window mode:
None of the people who tried the game with GeForce, had any luck in window mode.

Thanks for replying!

Hi JackRabbit,
some advices/remarks i want to give u and all the others.

1.You need a kind of menu or something else to show out the differents keys used in the game.

2.The window mode and Fullscreen mode have no differences according to the player, the former is just slower than the latter.

3.It''s better to make something playable before asking to test it, or if you are making some changes, try to make some obvious modifications before showing it to others.

4.The game has some bugs that are really annoying but that may be easy to fix up according to all the big job you have done up to now.

That''s just my point of view

Thanks for your response remi.

quote:
Original post by remi
1.You need a kind of menu or something else to show out the differents keys used in the game.

Yes, a menu system is in the works. Just on paper now, but ill get to that as soon as i can. But for now, ill include a text file with instructions.

quote:
Original post by remi
2.The window mode and Fullscreen mode have no differences according to the player, the former is just slower than the latter.

The reason i have window mode is for debugging only. It will not be included when the game is finished. It just causes problems.
And the window mode is ultra slow for 2 main reasons:
1. The window gets stretched to the edges of the screen if you go to window mode from fullscreen.
2. Since my images are 8 bpp, Windows has to convert the images to the fit the current desktop bitdepth settings, which is a major performace hit. Ofcourse, if you set your desktop bitdepth to 8 bpp, in the Display Properties, you should have alot better performance. However, alot of newer graphics cards dont support this. Especially laptops.

quote:
Original post by remi
3.It's better to make something playable before asking to test it, or if you are making some changes, try to make some obvious modifications before showing it to others.

Yes, you have a point there. However, i didnt claim that the game was playable or anything. As i stated in my original post, all i wanted was to see how the game runs on other computers, since i thought it would be better to find out about any core-engine problems now, before the game get more complex.

quote:
Original post by remi
4.The game has some bugs that are really annoying
but that may be easy to fix up according to all the big job you have done up to now.

I have taken care of most of the small ones now. For example:
falling out of the screen and crashing is fixed.

But the collision is still a problem. He can still fall through if the game laggs.

Also add ESC key for quiting the app.

Thanks for your feedback!

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 3, 2002 1:08:24 PM]

[edited by - JackRabbit on October 3, 2002 1:16:56 PM]

Hi JackRabbit,

i'm particularly satisfy with the answers, though there is a little point i don't get clearly, the window mode. I think it's better to have the 2 modes if you can,cause some guys around(like me) really love the window mode(it's windows-friendly, u can shift easily to any application without re-changing the display mode or restoring the surfaces,...that take some time). Don't get anoyed with all this, it's just a point of view

Here i'm just trying to find the reasons wy the window mode's FPS is so slow.

quote:
1. The window gets stretched to the edges of the screen if you go to window mode from fullscreen.

Try to make a window mode that is not fullscreen, a window that is exactly the size u need so that u don't need to strech your graphics. Don't forget when streching u decrease your graphic's quality.

quote:

2. Since my images are 8 bpp, Windows has to convert the images to the fit the current desktop bitdepth settings, which is a major performace hit. Ofcourse, if you set your desktop bitdepth to 8 bpp, in the Display Properties, you should have alot better performance. However, alot of newer graphics cards dont support this. Especially laptops.

When loading your graphics, windows convert them once to fit the desktop's bitdepth.So after they are all loaded on surfaces, u should not be making conversions again. This should not be the problem.

BTW if you used the UnvalidetRect() function don't let him redraw the backgroung for u, without it, it may amanzingly slow down the game.

[edited by - remi on October 3, 2002 8:08:29 PM]

Hi,
With the wait for retrace thing turned off I got 169 fps on a pentium 100mhz with 64megs RAM. This computer also has an sis 530 card with I think 8mb of VRAM. Now that is a smokin'' computer! With the retrace on I got 84 fps. In windowed mode I only got 3 or 4 fps. Just out of curiosity how did you control his movement. Because in the windowed mode when it was getting 3 fps he jumped super high. But with 169 fps he only jumped a little. Great game keep up the good work.
,Stephen