Art critique

Started by
7 comments, last by Neostorm 21 years, 6 months ago
If you all wouldn't mind. I am interested in peoples thoughts on my work. Mainly the content in the Projects section of the site. http://www.creathcarter.com Thank you much for any and all criticism. Regards. [edited by - Neostorm on October 1, 2002 12:16:35 PM]
Advertisement
Good and bad comments.

The first two would not likely be seen in a game, I can''t put a name on it but they have that "gradiant, prepackaged tool" look to them, if I''m not mistaken there is a piece of art software that output that kind of stuff. Its more like the kind of thing you would see on a fanart site than in a video game.

The third one (Knight? Warrior?) looks good and could likely make it in as cover/manual art or as in game art for 2D aspects. The thing about it is the head looks a little strange (small, triangle style doesn''t fit with the rest of the body)

The Orc is good but again the head seems a bit odd.

The tree background is probably the best work, and I can easily see it used in a 2D/3D on 2D adventure game. You might want to do some experiments in making some small (240x160) backgrounds, as the GBA is seeing some demand for the old Lucas arts 2D adventures.

I won''t comment yet on the last two as they are obviously not completed (just sketches).
Thank you very much for the comments. Most of the artwork section contains work from ~1999 or so. My newer work (and probably what I should have drawn attention to) is in the Projects section. (Bottom most option in the navigation menu).

If you have time to view these projects and in game artwork, I would appreciate the feedback very much.

And again, thank you for your original reply. I very much appreciate the critique!

Regards.

EDIT: Oh yes, and bad comments are certainly welcome. The more the merrier.

[edited by - Neostorm on October 1, 2002 12:15:07 PM]
I liked what you had in the Projects section. Is that artwork and screenshots for an actual game you're doing? Also out of curiosity, what did you use to create the wireframe models? I like those almost as much or perhaps a little more then the textured ones.

Edit: Actually the more I look at the concept art the more inspired I feel to do some of my own, thanks.

[edited by - TechnoHydra on October 1, 2002 2:12:55 PM]
Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate that very much.

The projects on my page are all from playable game prototypes (with the exception of the Serious Sam Level Design, which is for the Serious Engine). More information on the individual projects can be obtained from the info sections (found as links under each projects section).

To answer your question about the wire frames, they are renders from MAX4.

Any input or aspects of my work you don''t like, please tell me so I may improve my skills.
Thanks again.
Humm...

I Like some of the 3D art and some of the 2D art, but I would have to suggest one thing. You should only put your best stuff in your portfolio.

It seems that you have a time span of 3 years here, which is good, but I think someone else mentioned it, while the 2D art of the Tree is nice, the humans are well...need a little work.

You should go back ans assess weather you really need to show everything, and not just your prime pieces.

hope that helps

you''ve got some nices pieces again

peace

-Sage13

Liquid Moon Team

Project X2

"6 years with 3D Studio Max
4 years with Lightwave 3D
6 years with Photoshop"

For someone with such extensive "experience," your portfolio certainly does not show it.
Well, that''s how long I''ve been using them. Sorry my work isn''t up to your standards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement