Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaviar

problem with large xfiles

Kaviar    122
Hello I created a level x-file that is one large object and the x file as a textfile became 5mb, this made my fps drop to the bottom. In maya you can choose to export all objects into one x file but my code that comes from Jim Adams RPG book (NodeTree) just loads one frame (object). If I combine all object in maya and then export it everything will show up, but this kills the fps... How am I supposed to create levels? It would be nice to be able to put all the objects in the level together in maya and then just read one x file. Is this how it should be done? rather this then having 400 x files that I load separtely. thanks!

Prototype    2014
If you want to render worlds larger than say couple of thousand poly''s, you have to implement some kind of occlusion/culling algoritm. Much stuff about this topic can be found by reading this forum.

Kaviar    122
to me that is not the problem (atleast I don''t think so) the node tree demo I refered to uses QUADTREE / OCTREE. (BSP occlusion, quadtree isn''t they just different alghorithms dealing with the same thing?)
the thing is that my level is one giant mesh, instead of small portions. If it where small portions I could just choose to show the one I am on and some near by ones.
This sound like the right thing to do but I am unsure of how to do it.
my game is a race game so I should show the the previous frame current and next I guess, so all I should do is create a linked list with frames...then all frames should be in memory but not shown until I choose to.
basically a class that has a linked list of the nodetree class loaded with each frame.
is this the way to go?

BrianH    145
This is just off the top of my head but...

If you combine everything into your level into a single mesh, than that gets put into a single node with a single bounding box. So, when you do view frustum culling on it, it will either be entirely visible or entirely not visible - AKA all or nothing. I imagine what you need to do is break your level into many smaller meshes so that each can have its own bounding box and be tested against the view frustum.

BrianH