Best Numerical Integration Method

Started by
16 comments, last by Zipster 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:cosh2(s) - you probably forgot the square root

So true, I did

quote:These should be vz = vx * sinh(a) and similarly for b.

Ok, I think I get it. Like this?

vz = vx * sinh(a)
gT + vz = vx * sinh(b)

So as a general rule, since we were changing from our "old variable" t1 to our "new variable" s, we plug our "old bounds" into the "old variable" places to solve for the "new bounds". I know it''s quite an informal way of thinking about it, but it makes sense, and it''s consistant with our first bound change when we went from t to t1.

So, just to wrap things up (and for my own peace of mind):

vx(ea)2/2 - vz(ea) - vx/2 = 0

Like you said, we find ea and take the natural logarithm. We do the same for eb, only instead of our -vzea term, we have -(gT + vz)eb. (gT + vz) still evaluates to a constant, so it''s no problem.

Ultimately, we get this:

a∫b cosh2(s) = 0.25 * (a∫b e2s + a∫b 2 + a∫b e-2s

That would mean we finally end up with:

a∫b cosh2(s) = 0.25 * (e2s/2 + 2x - e-2s/2) |ab

Ok, now that all the math is done, now it''s time to code that Fun.

Thanks sQuid for all your help. Those variables changes were really throwing me for a loop
Advertisement
One last thing before I forget.

Assuming that non of my velocities are constants, I get something in the form:

0∫T sqrt( (g1t + vx)2 + (g2t + vy)2 + (g3t + vz)2 ) dt

This doesn't quite match what we've been working with so far, i.e only x and z, and x velocity was constant.

I'm assuming we would have to use a slightly different method, right? Unless we can somehow convert this equation into something similar to what we've been working with. But I'm pretty bad at recognizing such relationships, though. Here:

0∫T sqrt( (dx/dt)2 + (dy/dt)2 ) dt

... we only had two terms, and one of them was a constant at that.

When we have something more complex, essentially in this form:

0∫T sqrt( At2 + Bt + C ) dt

... can I still apply what you've been saying?

Once again, thanks for the time :D

[edited by - Zipster on October 3, 2002 2:48:02 AM]
quote:
So as a general rule, since we were changing from our "old variable" t1 to our "new variable" s, we plug our "old bounds" into the "old variable" places to solve for the "new bounds". I know it''s quite an informal way of thinking about it, but it makes sense, and it''s consistant with our first bound change when we went from t to t1.

Exactly.

You have the right idea for the rest of it, i didn''t check the details though.

quote:
When we have something more complex, essentially in this form:
0∫ T sqrt( At2 + Bt + C ) dt
can I still apply what you''ve been saying?

Yes, substitute something like t = t1 - B/2A, and I think you can eliminate the Bt term.

Have fun

Thanks, that''s what I need to hear!

I''ve already found the final equation in its general form (with constants A, B, and C), and I''m now simplifying it so it can be coded. It turns out that we have e to the power of a natural log (natural log of that big quadratic equation ), so we can simplify that to just the quadratic equation itself. Yay! I just have to check and recheck to make sure I recalculated my bounds correctly

Thanks again for all the help!
Just a comment on the Runge-Kutta. It integrates. You are using a derivative to plot a function, i.e. finding the anti-derivative. If F(x) is an anti-derivative of f(x) then the integral from a to b is F(b)-F(a). So you use Runge-Kutta to find F(a) and F(b). That isn''t apparent because you are usually finding a specific anti-derivative to solve a differential equation with Runge-Kutta. With differential equations you care about the specific anti-derivative, i.e. you want to be able to calculate the velocity at a specific point in time rather than the change in velocity over a time interval given an acceleration function.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
That''s what I guessed Runge-Kutta was used to do. But I presume you would first have to extrapolate to b from a, and the accuracy of that depends on the order of the method.

For anyone who''s curious, here''s the final product of all this. I''ve tested several examples against my trapazoidal method and it works extremely well:

float CTrajectory::Distance(float fTime){	// We integrate the following function from 0 to fTime to find the total distance	//			sqrt( x''^2 + y''^2 + z''^2 )	//	// Where x'', y'', and z'' are the velocity-time functions for each of the axis	//	// Constants A, B, and C	float A = 0.0f;	float B = 0.0f;	float C = 0.0f;	// We square the velocity-time function for each axis	// After combining terms, we will be left with a quadratic	// X AXIS	A += m_vecAcceleration.GetX() * m_vecAcceleration.GetX();	B += 2 * m_vecAcceleration.GetX() * m_vecVelocity.GetX();	C += m_vecVelocity.GetX() * m_vecVelocity.GetX();	// Y AXIS	A += m_vecAcceleration.GetY() * m_vecAcceleration.GetY();	B += 2 * m_vecAcceleration.GetY() * m_vecVelocity.GetY();	C += m_vecVelocity.GetY() * m_vecVelocity.GetY();	// Z AXIS	A += m_vecAcceleration.GetZ() * m_vecAcceleration.GetZ();	B += 2 * m_vecAcceleration.GetZ() * m_vecVelocity.GetZ();	C += m_vecVelocity.GetZ() * m_vecVelocity.GetZ();	// Constants F, G, H, and Q	float F = B / (2.0f * A);	float G = fTime + F;	float H = (float)sqrt( ((4.0f * A * C) - (B * B)) / (4.0f * A) );	float Q = (float)sqrt( ((4.0f * A * C) - (B * B)) / (4.0f * A * A) );	// Constants M, L, N, and P	float L = QuadSolve(Q / 2.0f, -G, -Q / 2.0f);	float M = QuadSolve(Q / 2.0f, -F, -Q / 2.0f);	float N = (L * L);	float P = (M * M);	// Solve	float distance = 0.0f;	distance += N;	distance -= P;	distance += (1.0f / P);	distance -= (1.0f / N);	distance /= 2.0f;	distance += (float)log( N / P );	distance *= (Q * H) / 4.0f;	return distance;}  

Two square roots and a natural log, and a whole bunch of multiplications (36 IIRC), a few less additions, and a few less divisions. I clocked it at less than a millisecond.

Thanks again everyone!
If you''re implementing Simpson''s method, try adding in an adaptive step length... it''s more efficient.

Cheers,

Timkin
I really wanted the accuracy more than the speed and efficiency, so I was trying to find ways that don't use steps or iterations or things like that. Speed isn't really a concern for the purpose of my program, so the explicit integral is exactly what I wanted Although I'm sure Simpson's method would have been great, being as it produces pretty accurate results with smaller n. My only thought is that the larger the time value, the smaller the step size we'd have to create to obtain an accurate result, and that would mean the algorithm would take longer... hmm I think I got that right

Thanks for the tip though!

[edited by - Zipster on October 7, 2002 1:06:48 PM]

[edited by - Zipster on October 7, 2002 1:08:44 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement