• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to change a surface's D3DFORMAT?

This topic is 5623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I''m sure it''s been asked and answered before but unfortunately the search function is down. Ick. I am using the GetFrontBuffer call to take a snapshot, and I need to save it into a surface to work with it. -On one hand GetFrontBuffer -always- returns a D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8. -On the other hand, I know from experimenting with my VooDoo3 PCI that I must work with the backbuffer''s format for creating render-ok surfaces and textures on old cards. No trusting D3DXCreateTexture to guess the right format, it crashes! This means that I must find a way to take my D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 surface and -convert- it to another format. Potentially even one with a different bitdepth. And my question is: How does one convert a surface format to another format? The only way I can think of involves saving a bmp and reloading it. =^.^= Leaders and teachers should remember: It is best to offer others what they Need not what they Want.

Advertisement
Nevermind! I finally found it!

It turns out that the API D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface is fully capable of transforming a surface into one of a different size, or even a different format As long as the Filter is specified!

It just wouldn''t work with a NULL parameter for the filter. I tried it with Linear, and voila!

• Advertisement