Learning Time...

Started by
4 comments, last by Stranger 21 years, 6 months ago
I am not a beginner in programming.I have programmed using Fortran,Pascal,Vb,Qbasic.Now that I start with C++ and have also some knowledge how long will it take to learn? Since I am going to use Opengl how will it take to learn also? Is their a way,a book lets say,that teaches C++ and Opengl at the same time or I should learn them seperately?
Advertisement
It's impossible to know how long it will take to learn C++/OpenGL, depends on intelligence and your will to learn and how much time spend on it mainly.

I would suggest learing C++ purely, try GameTutorials, some wicked stuff their on learning C++. Then once you've mastered C++ start learning OpenGL again try GameTutorials for more stuff. Trying to learn OpenGL and C++ at the same time is VERY difficult because frequently to do OpenGL you need advanced C++ stuff and you sort of get the picture.

If you've done programming before and understand how to do it learning C++ should be a snap! Good luck

From a FLOOP (Freak, and LOVING it, of Object Oriented Programming)

[edited by - RamboBones on October 1, 2002 8:34:50 PM]
Depending on your experience, you may find learning C++ not to bad. OpenGL isn''t too rough, the basics can be picked up in a few weeks. Unfortunately, openGL code doesn''t do much error checking and will compile just fine even with lots of bugs. You won''t get lock-ups, but you might struggle with mismatched lighting and textures, etc. for a bit. I agree that learning C++ first should be your focus, esp some of the OOP aspects and linked lists.
I am currently learning C/C++ and am interested in getting started with OpenGL also and I was just wondering what book is the most recommended book for learning OpenGL, that maybe you or someone you know has had great success with.
No book. Try http://nehe.gamedev.net/. The best source for learning OpenGL.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Intelligence isn't a factor here; however knowledge on the other hand is. The will to learn; like in school if you didn’t like a subject you wouldn't do as well as a subject you enjoyed. Also you can't measure time via years/months. It is how often you read books, practice and talk about the language along with many other factors also in which order. Try reading a good C++ book through several times over. If you learned how to speak English (or any other language for that matter) this should be a piece of cake.

*typo* =P

[edited by - simon10k on October 2, 2002 7:00:51 PM]
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement