Looking for tools for linux

Started by
4 comments, last by sgaffga 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi @ all! I am currently working on a Linux-only 3D Jump''n Run game and need some help regarding the tools, because I want to create the whole game only using open source or at least free tools. My hero was modeled using Blender (www.blender.nl) an I exported it using the Python API. The Model and the Texture mapping looks cool right now, but the bones are not supported by the python API so I could not export them. So my question is: Is there a tool out there in which I can create a complete 3D model, texture and animate it and export the data in a format which is not too hard to read? It should be a Linux tool, but if you have experiences in a windows program that could help me, I would be happy, too! Thanks for your help Stefan
Advertisement
I use TrueSpace 3. It''s only for Windows, and I hate it. After using 3D Studio Max, it''s a PAIN to use! I mean, I want to SHOOT myself after working with TrueSpace.

But then again, some people like it. I dunno.

As for Linux 3d modelers, there''s none (that we can use, anyways) that I know of. Someone oughta get ILM to release some of their tools. They use Linux.
I like the DARK layout!
EDIT: Nope, I was wrong.

[edited by - Null and Void on October 1, 2002 12:14:01 AM]
Currently, there are no feature-complete quality Open Source modeling tools. There are some shareware and cheapware options, but hardly any for Linux (that I know of).

On October 13th, Blender will be released as Open Source. I''m sure a plethora of tools and utilities will be made available (in addition to radical changes to Blender itself), after an appropriate gestation period and the determination of where to go next. Until then, I have no answers for you.
PS. Do you have any screenshots of your game/character? I''d love to see what you''re doing as Linux seems to be short on interesting 3d games outside the simulation/gore arenas.

Thanks!
Hi,

sorry, I don''t have any screenshots yet as I am still quite at
the start of development. I currently have

+ The GUI-Menu working
+ Vector and Matrix classes from older 3D projects
+ XML im- and export functions for 3D objects
+ The Hero is modelled, but ...
- nice textures are missing
- animation is missing

Thats what the status is.

As soon as I have something interesting I will post source,