Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Komodo_Dragon

computer science universities

I am a senior in high school and I am preparing to apply to schools. My chosen major is computer science. I was wondering if anyone knows which schools I should apply to and which ones are actually in my range. My GPA is 3.7. I live in California and prefer a school in this state. *I have always been interested in game programming but do not plan on it as a career.

Okay, the top CS universities in the USA are MIT and Carnegie Mellon. In california, I can think of the harvey mudd / pumona / etc cluster, which looks very nice, and stanford as two very quality places to look ...

But I don''t know ''the west'' to list much more in that area ... I live in ohio, didn''t want to go that far away, will probably apply early to mellon and pray!

There are basically four things you need to do if you are going into CS:
1) Make sure the CS department is accredited(sp). This basically means they got their crap in order and if you have to leave, it makes it a lot easier transfering credits. Also, many recruiters like this and will mainly target accredited departments.
2) Go to an open day and try to meet the teachers. These are the people you are going to be seeing for the next 4 years, and if you can''t understand them, or stand being around them, then do not choose that college.
3) Check the labs. Even if they have good equipment, make sure you can use it. Many colleges have incredible comp. labs, but they are off limits.
4) You may want to check up on how many recruiters come to that college also. While my old college had many big companies come by, other colleges in the state, which were bigger, did not.

Major colleges will have most of these things, which is why going to one is good. If you got a choice, those four items really stand out. The days where the college name helps you get a job in programming are pretty much over though. People may disagree, but it is a fact. After your first job, it means nothing. If you can'' t answer any of the technical questions at an interview, or get your job done, then you won''t have a job, no matter where you went.

Cal tech, berkley, and stanford all have great CS programs. I liked stanford the best out of em when I checked into it, but decided not to go there cause its to much money for my family, so instead im going to University of Wisconsin, which also has a good program and great labs. I would first see how much aid you can get and how much the college offers unless money is no option, after that I''d not only send my application to the private schools but also the state schools. I heard UCLA has a pretty good program as well.

You''re not gonna go wrong with either Stanford or Berkeley as far as the Computer Science program is concerned. But Berkely is probably less than 1/10th the cost of Stanford.

If you hunt around on the US News & World Report web site you find a list of their college rankings, and you can specifically find a list of school rated on their CS (or engineering) program. How exactly they "rank" the schools is a matter of some mystery, but you will find that both Stanford and Berkeley are very high on the list.

If you do a forum search you will find threads about just this subject, and I post by me where I link the page I mention above. I''m too lazy to go find it again though.

Guest Anonymous Poster
A cheap alternative would be NMSU, in southern New Mexico, low cost of living, low tuition, and it is a nationally acredited school in a lot of things, business mostly, butthey have a very nice CS program also, I am currently getting my masters in economics there.