2D Games

Started by
10 comments, last by piwh 21 years, 6 months ago
Hey! What games that are 2D exist now a days? It seems all you see is FPS. I''m trying to think of a good 2D to make but my head is completely out of ideas!
Advertisement
Almost every card game, puzzle game, and board game that I''ve seen is 2D. That includes virtually every browser-based game out there.

---
John Hattan
The Code Zone
Sweet software for a saturnine world

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

I can think of a few, what about the many RTS games out there (starcraft, and the latest installments of Red Alert).

Personally, I think its important to not complete count out 2D games for the next few years because we live in a VERY big world, where not everyone is gunna have a 2 GHz, Voodoo X card, and all the ram in the world to throw into a nice PC. Some people simply cant afford good PCs and making enjoyable 2D games that can actually realistically compete with their 3D counterparts is possible, but extremely challenging.
What about GBA games? Have a look on some GBA game site to see what titles are out now, or are coming out.

You could even look on some emulation sites to get ideas about gaps in the modern market.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Theres good ol' Simcity 4 thats coming out (although thats sort of a hybrid of 2D & 3D now) There was Disciples II that was just released. That had some great 2D graphics. And a ton of indy, 2d games. I don't know, i tend to prefer 2d over 3d (except FPS) after playing so many ho-hum 3d games that would have looked better in 2D.

~Ven

http://www.signhill.com/

[edited by - Venciera on October 4, 2002 4:20:47 AM]
2D Adventure Games are always in demand by their dedicated followers (visit adventuregamers.com if you want to see what I mean). Turn based games like Civilization are 2D.

Two dimensional games are still every bit as worthwhile now as they were 5 and 10 years ago. There are advantages to both 2D and 3D.

The best games for 2D, I think, are those that have a static backdrop (isometric games like strategy/wargame maps, puzzle games, side-scrollers [a lost art], etc) or virtually any game that requires 4 or fewer degrees of freedom of movement.

Brian Lacy
Smoking Monkey Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@smoking-monkey.org

"I create. Therefore I am."

[edited by - irbrian on October 6, 2002 11:09:14 PM]
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
I''m currently writing a 2D RPG, but as I understand it, I''m about 10 years behind my time.

I still play modern 2D games, though. A good example would be the Exile series.
You will find many people have older machines that arent so 3D friendly anyway. look at the poll results here:

indiegames and youll see a very rough breakdown. A small sample size at the moment, but I''m not surprised to see people with under 800MHZ PCs still out there. Granted you can do a 3D game on a 100 MHZ PC, but generally 2D games are more old-pc friendly.

http://www.positech.co.uk

I''ve been playing this fun 2d game called Eternal Daugther theses last days. If you like 2d, you''ll love this nostalgic game.
Think about the PDA platform and the new Smartphones that are being released... You can get really good results using GAPIDraw ( http://www.gapidraw.com ) and if you''re a VB developer, ASpriteCE ( http://www.spritehand.com ), and they all support multi platform. In fact, GAPIDraw supports desktop PC''s too.

I''m currently working on several 2D games for these platforms, and I know they''ll be warmly received when I do.

Remember: The PDA market is not saturated enough that 2D games are unwanted... The market is calling out for them

Lazarus404
Lazarus404

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement