Direct X help files

Started by
4 comments, last by Fredric 24 years ago
I posted a few days ago with a question about OpenGL. I have decided to learn Direct X instead, because I want to make ''good'' 2D games before I get into 3d games/OpenGL. Anyhow... I keep hearing about the Direct X help files. Where do I go to get these help files? They seem really useful, and I''d rather use those help files than going out and buying a LaMothe book.... Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
Wait, didn''t you say in that other thread that you have Windows Game Programming for Dummies?

Anyway, although I wouldn''t recommend starting with just the help files, they come with the SDK. You can download them separately from the Official DirectX site.
Yes, I do have Windows Games Programming for Dummies, but I keep on hearing from a lot of people that Andre simply regurgitated what the help files have onto the page and sold it as his own work. I''m not sure which way to go... but... I thought having the help files would be a great thing to have as well.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
i have Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, and i can assure you, at least in that book, he didn''t simply regurgitate the SDK Help Files..

Personally, i think the help files are extremely useful, and i couldn''t get by without them, but at the same time, they don''t really teach you anything.. i recommend using them in addition to a good book.. it''s possible to learn just by the help files and experimenting, but it''d take alot longer and you''d probably develop some bad habits..

(and i think Myopic Rhino''s point was that if you already have the book, you don''t have to go out and buy it)
he said game programming for dummies,
not the "tricks" book. but yes, the "tricks" books
is well worth the money.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
LaMothe Book is Great.. I am only up to chapter 3, but I learnt a few tricks already.

The Direct3D help is pretty good in DX7 now, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement