Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

code_fx

java++

code_fx    122
Well I am taking java and am not liking it... What can I do with java to make it more interesting... Is it possible for me to make games on java... it is similar to C++ but also not the same... I need some motivation... the things that I can do with this language, its exe. is slower than C++ is it that much of a difference. P.S. They stopped teaching C last semester and started teaching Java++ this semester and now I am stuck with this

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes , you can make all type of Games with Java ..

CaptainJester    523
You can use DirectX if you use the Java3D API.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book

OrangyTang    1298
quote:
Original post by CaptainJester
You can use DirectX if you use the Java3D API.

Incredibly wrong. Java3D uses DirectX or OpenGL depending on the underlying OS and installer version, but you can''t access DX or GL commands at all - it''s an entirly different API sitting at a higher level (scene graph etc.).

Viro    122
You wouldn''t want to use the DX version of Java3D anyway because it lacks some of the features of the OpenGL version. Its listed somewhere in the Java3D docs.

zzoo    122
Benefits using Java over C++:

- Better GUI, there are many available built-in functions.
- Can be web-based, so people can use/play over Internet
- Platform/OS independent
- More object-oriented (it might be a negative aspect for some)

nonnus29    105
quote:
Original post by code_fx
Well I am taking java and am not liking it... What can I do with java to make it more interesting... Is it possible for me to make games on java... it is similar to C++ but also not the same... I need some motivation... the things that I can do with this language, its exe. is slower than C++ is it that much of a difference.

P.S. They stopped teaching C last semester and started teaching Java++ this semester and now I am stuck with this

Yes, you can make games with java. Check out my site for two applet games with source:

http://www.geocities.com/nonnus29/index.htm

[edited by - nonnus29 on October 2, 2002 6:14:38 PM]

BrokenCloud    122
Can java be made into a game? One word, Runescape. Most of you who know runescape may say it sucks, but hey, can you do better? They have their own 3D engine, they''ve built a fairly big world and they are going to upgrade their graphics. Even though I don''t really like how the graphics look, not a crisp as if you were to make it for o let''s say windows, but it''s JAVA. I''m not saying java is bad or anything, but I think you have more options in C++ since you don''t have to worry about what type of connection does the user have. There''s also more choices I think.

A Beef from Broken Cloud!

Incoming Message:
Help! Help! My Cloud Is Gone!!!