Code question?

Started by
15 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 21 years, 6 months ago
I was wondering with all the languages will they still be using C++ in the next few years? Or will everything be shifting to .NET or C# ? By everything I mean is it better to learn C++ C# or .NET when you trying to become a game programmer. Or does it even matter? Kinda confused on exactly what language is going to be used in a few more years and if C++ will ever fade away
Advertisement
Yes. No. Both. No. Unlikely.

A language is a tool designed for a specific set of tasks.
Learning a single language will limit you untolerably.
Learning several languages let you pick the most adapted in any given situations.

Think about learning other types of languages (scripting, functional, OO ...)

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
In the next few years everybody will code in assembler - possibly hex (for optimisation, of course.)
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
In the next few years everybody will code in assembler - possibly hex (for optimisation, of course.)

LoL don''t they already and a compiler converts it to assembler

I do know many languages im just trying to figure out what is best to learn EXTENSIVELY
Personally I don''t think c++ will fade away, not in a few years. I even like to think in c++ and solve problem with its paradigm, and I''m sure I''m not alone.

people program in machine language, and then came C, which was a level up (problem solving layer wise). It was widely used. Then came C++, which is also a level up. A lot of C programmers converted to C++ (I think, I don''t really know and please don''t flame me on this). The new languages, be it C#, VB.NET, even Java, are still not higher that C++ in the problem solving layer. Thus I don''t believe any of them will take over C++''s place, not now not in the future.

If a new programming "language" come and let you "write" (may not even need to literally write/type) a complete app without writing loops, ifs, and also let you develop the app in much less time than c++, then it will likely to make c++ fade away. Of course recent IDEs and their wizards don''t count.
Is it assembler or assembly? I thought the language was assembly and an assembler is what converts the code into machine code. I have heard people use the two interchangably and now I am confused?!
bugawk?
Assembler is what converts it to machine code.

I read once somewhere that the languages correct name is assembler. However, I don''t give a @#$@!$%^$#$ if people call it assembly or assembler. I use both depending on my mood. Assembler if I feel a bit saucy and assembly for casual speech... Ya know...
quote:Original post by Mr Bakbugawk
Is it assembler or assembly? I thought the language was assembly and an assembler is what converts the code into machine code. I have heard people use the two interchangably and now I am confused?!

This thing called the C++ compiler converts your C++ code into assembler code and writes the assembler as machine code into a exe file. That is how a compiler makes your application.

And as for assembler and assembly its the same thing people just have this strange conspiarcy to say it differen''t ways (thats a guess). Technically I think assembler is the thing that compiles your assembly code therefore you could almost say it both ways. So its like saying I write my code in C but I use a C++ compiler to compile it.
negative.
Unless I''m mistaken, the first ''high-level'' programming language - that superceded assembly - was Fortran I in 1954. Fortran has gone through several evolution (the latest version is dated from 1990 IIRC). Fortran is still in use, in the domain it was designed for - scientific programming (heck, my brother is learning it as part of his Chemical Engineering curriculum).

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement