• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jho

OpenGL Direct3D vs OpenGL

This topic is 6766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why would you use OpenGL to make games? Is it easy to integrate sound and input to OpenGL programs? On the other hand, would you choose OpenGL or Direct3D if you were writing an application? I think OpenGL is more widely used for applications, right? please compare and contrast. I need your opinions..

Advertisement
the omnipresent question gets asked again!!!!

expect a long thread. look what you started.

=)

to me: opengl is easier to use than direct3d, and yes, you can implement all other parts of direct x with opengl. in fact, i think lots of people are going to tell you this.

they're also gonna tell you that as of right now, it doesn't really matter if you use opengl or directx, cuz they're pretty much the same, difficulty-wise, and now it's just a matter of preference.

and yes, opengl is cross-platform.

whoops! i forgot you're the new guy. anyway, we've all gone through it. no hard feelings, okay?

a2k

Edited by - a2k on 4/13/00 9:40:33 PM

Edited by - a2k on 4/13/00 9:42:10 PM

a2k pretty much summed it up. It just a matter of preferance these days. However be on the look out for the new kronus(did i spell it right) API.

ECKILLER

yeah! i''m lookin forward to that one, or do you think it''ll be just a rumor, just like farenheit? nah, cuz microsoft ain''t part of the deal. anything that''ll beat microsoft, i''ll be lookin forward to.

a2k

>>Why would you use OpenGL to make games?

Why not? It''s perfectly suitable and is accelerated on most consumer 3d video boards.

>>Is it easy to integrate sound and input to OpenGL programs?

Yes. OpenGL encompasses primarily just rendering. You can use DirectSound/DirectInput, normal Windows API calls, 3rd party libraries, or hardware APIs (such as A3D, OpenAL or EAX). GLUT offers some generic input functionality.

>>...would you choose OpenGL or Direct3D...

It''s really a matter of preference and application to the situation. Direct3D outclasses OpenGL in features and in some cases, speed (because Direct3D is often a higher priority than OpenGL to the hardware manufacturers).

I choose OpenGL because I''m developing a cross-platform engine. When I get around to it, I''ll add Direct3D support, but it''s not a pressing issue at the moment.

>>I think OpenGL is more widely used for applications, right?

That''s hard to say. AFAIK, Direct3D games outnumber OpenGL games, but I could be wrong. Many games support both (like Homeworld), which is a great idea. You still find software engines being released, but that won''t be that common for much longer.

>>please compare and contrast. I need your opinions..

If you''re looking to jump in, I''d go with OpenGL. It''s the most straightforward, and it''s Red Book is an unsurpassed beginner''s resource IMHO. There''s also alot more OpenGL source code out on the net for you to learn from.

I''ve heard others say (and I see why, somewhat), that it''s easier to learn OpenGL then move to Direct3D...but harder to learn Direct3D and move to OpenGL. Of course this is subjectively dependant on you.

Oops. I mistakenly mentioned OpenAL as a hardware API when it''s actually not. It''s a 3rd party library -- another one of Loki''s initiatives. Check out OpenAL.org.

I''ve tried both, I prefer OpenGL.
Cleaner, safer..

I''m looking for OpenML which will be the cross platform API equivalent to DirectX.

That''s all

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

Um...I like DirectX better, but this question is overasked way too much. Isn''t there some article somebody can refer to for this? Basically, I think it''s your descision. OpenGL is really slow on my machine, so I prefer Direct3D, but, as I said, it''s your choice.

altair
altair734@yahoo.com
biggins.mit.edu/altair734

better yet, kill all ''x vs. y'' threads

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!