Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeyBlow2

(DX 8.1) Skeletal Animation (barebones)

I''m not using .X files for skeletal animation/skinning. I''m doing it in the old fashion way all manually (so I can learn how all this works.) I''ve got my implementation to work, however, I''m using the old method of segment skinning (I think that is the term.) Where the upper arm has its own mesh, and the lower arm has its own mesh. This is working great, however, the elbow is acting funny (like its supposed to.) I was going to fix this by upgrading to Geometry Blending (Vertex Blend.) I read all about it in the SDK and understand that perfectly. Instead of having 2 meshes, you have 1 mesh and assign each vertex to basically have a percentage between the upper arm and the lower arm matrix. My question is this: What about the wrist? I''m guessing my model is going to have to include the wrist and I add another matrix into the geometry blending. Thats fine. Now, I have 2 weights instead of 1. I can do that, but what about the shoulder? Or the fingers. I''m going to run out of spots in my geometry blending. There is only 4 weights allowed. How do I break this all up to make it work right? Or am I always going to have spot breaking points where it acts like the segment skinng? Or do you still have multiple meshes and I have it all wrong?