Sounds

Started by
6 comments, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 6 months ago
Windows has this really cool feature where sounds can play at the same time. I mean, it''s really awesome. WinAmp can be playing and someone will IM me and I hear the sound even as the music''s playing. I can even play a song in WinAmp while playing Warcraft III. Why doesn''t Linux do that? OK, I know why it doesn''t do that, but is there a way to put a layer between the sound card and all the sound using apps so that they can all play sounds at the same time? I thought that was what soundwrapper was for, but that doesn''t seem to do any good. How can I get GAim to play sounds even when I''m listining to XMMS?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Umm, Linux can do this. What sound card do you have? As long as you''re using the right drivers, everything should be fine. Honestly, this has nothing to do with the OS, but rather with your sound card and drivers for it.
Its an integrated VIA something or other, using Alsa drivers.
I like the DARK layout!
It''s usually a question of having the appropriate libs for your WM installed in addition to the Linux sound drivers. I remember Enlightenment required (requires?) esd to use multiple audio channels. Also check your WM config.
I found a plugin for XMMS that output to ESD instead of using OSS, and now it seems to work, at least GAim can play sounds at the same time as XMMS.

But now there''s a delay. I push play and it takes about half a second before it starts playing. I push stop and it takes about half a second to stop. Same as in GAim. Half a second delay.

How do I squash the delay?
I like the DARK layout!
Hello, I''v too problem playing from multiple sources. If I set XMMS to play via eSound Output Plugin (libesound.so) it just won''t play.
I get this error:

Couldn''t open audio
"Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other program is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly"

I have too VIA integrated sound circuits.
I can''t understand since esdplay boom.wav works very well so what can be problem with this??

-----------
RacingTreme - for fun multiplayer racing:
http://users.utu.fi/stkibr
For me it seems to happen magical things with Linux. Now everything works fine with esd. I''v never before been able to play multiple sources simultaneously. Now suddenly everything works fine

-----------
RacingTreme - for fun multiplayer racing:
http://users.utu.fi/stkibr
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
But now there''s a delay. I push play and it takes about half a second before it starts playing. I push stop and it takes about half a second to stop. Same as in GAim. Half a second delay.

How do I squash the delay?

I think this is the buffer size. If you use smaller mixer buffer then delay is smaller. Buffer is played to the end and all changes take place to the next played buffer. Propably there''s som kind of double bufferingsystem This was just my thoughts

Though I don''t know how to change buffer size.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement