• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monder

STL vectors with structs

This topic is 5744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok I''ve been playing around with STL and I tried to do this struct Test { int m_iNum; }; vector TestVector; However it gives me all these error messages whenever I compile C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(45) : error C2784: ''bool __cdecl std::operator <(const class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &,c onst class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &)'' : could not deduce template argument for ''const class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter- 1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &'' from ''const struct Test'' C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(45) : error C2784: ''bool __cdecl std::operator <(const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &,const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &)'' : could not deduce template argument for ''const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &'' from ''const struct Test'' C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(45) : error C2676: binary ''<'' : ''const struct Test'' does not define this operator or a conversion to a type acceptable to the predefined operator C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(47) : error C2784: ''bool __cdecl std::operator <(const class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &,c onst class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &)'' : could not deduce template argument for ''const class std::reverse_iterator<`template-parameter- 1'',`template-parameter-2'',`template-parameter-3'',`template-parameter-4'',`template-parameter-5''> &'' from ''const struct Test'' C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(47) : error C2784: ''bool __cdecl std::operator <(const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &,const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &)'' : could not deduce template argument for ''const struct std:air<`template-parameter-1'',`template-parameter-2''> &'' from ''const struct Test'' C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VC\INCLUDE\xutility(47) : error C2676: binary ''<'' : ''const struct Test'' does not define this operator or a conversion to a type acceptable to the predefined operator I don''t get them if I use a type such as int. Is there any way to hold structs in a vector. I know I can use pointers to the stucts but I want to hold the actual structs in the vector not dynamically allocate them pass a pointer and free them once I''ve done. Any idea how to do this w/o causing all those errors?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
try this...vector<Test>TestVector

It''s looking for an operator < for your class. The cause isn''t vector--rather, you''re probably trying to use an algorithm that needs this relational operator, such as sort.

Either create a predicate for your class and pass in that to the algorithm in question, or create a < operator for your class:
bool Test::operator < (const Test &other) const
{ /* ... */ }

Well I''m only using

struct test
{
int m_iNum;
};

vector<test> VectorTest;

As you can see there are no overloaded operators just an int. Oh btw when I actually use this the struct is going to have more in it than an integer it''s just I like to test things like this in a seperate little project so I can make sure it all works.

#include <vector>

using namespace std;

struct test
{
int m_iNum;
};

vector<test> VectorTest;

--------------------Configuration: test - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
test.cpp

test.obj - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

As you can see, there are no problems with this code. Your problem is elsewhere. You''re either using an algorithm or a container (such as set or map) which requires operator < defined for test.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!