GBA Sound Quality

Started by
4 comments, last by Arek the Absolute 21 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know what quality of sound is considered ''typical'' of a GBA game? I''ve finally got sound in, and I''ve noticed how much it boosts the size of my roms. I was just wondering if that should be happening, considering I''m using 8000Hz, 8-bit mono sound. Anyone know how this is usually done in professional GBA games? -Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
Advertisement
No clue. Also on this topic, I can''t find any solid specs for what sound chip the GBA uses.. Nintendo''s site is no help at all.

Resist everyone
Most games are using samples sampled between 8khz to 22khz. Actually, most of the time they''re using 22khz samples but since samples can be used in multiple songs, the total rom size doesn''t increase that much while the sample quality is high. Also, it depends a lot on the samples you''re using. Some samples need a high sampling rate, while others will still sound fine at a lower rate.
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
Hmm... Figured I''d just revive this thread rather than starting a new one, seeing as its almost the same thing.

How about music? I''m assuming Arjan was talking about sound effects? Do most people even use the Direct Sound channels for music, or is that pretty much just for sound effects? If they use DirectSound, they must use really low sample rates just to get them on the cart, or am I mistaken?

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
Look into MODS, which are basically like MIDI, but you can use your own samples with the DIRECTSOUND output.

------------
- outRider -
Outrider: true indeed. Most games use some kind of MODs or their bgm, but MIDI also is a choice, since the soundchip also supports 4(?) MIDI-like channels.

I can also recommend to look at the Belogic site for GBA sound/music information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement