NeHe tutorials, what is meant by units?

Started by
2 comments, last by Springer 21 years, 6 months ago
He is always saying move this way or that way so many units, what are these units based on? They cant be pixels because 1 unit in the tutorials moves my object over too far. Can anyone help me on this?
Advertisement
a unit is just a unit. think of it as whatever you want. it''s all in scale due to the location/where you''re looking from your camera. think of it as feet, meters, yards...whatever you want.

--SuperRoy

[ www.Google.com ][ FlipCode IOTD ]
[ Email Me ][ WhitespaceUnlimited ]
Sup guys?
well at first i was going to reply with a wtf but after re-reading your post i see exactly what you are saying.

Thanks for the help
As a personal preference, I like to think of 1 unit as 1 centimeter when dealing with 3d worlds (such as quake levels). It simply fits well...

I think it''s good to give 1 unit a reference from the real world as it allows you to "scale" the world on a more familiar level (cm - m - km, not 1 unit - 100 units - 100000 units)

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement