Linux vs. Windows?

Started by
23 comments, last by JakeL 21 years, 6 months ago
So I take it that all of you would warn against using DirectPlay for your client/server communications? Of course, if you were to use DirectPlay, you would be stuck with Windows 2K or XP for your game server.

I want to hear why, some other method would be better than DirectPlay if you can indulge me. I''d prefer to keep the network code portion of my planned game as simple as possible while maintaining reliability and speed.

I suppose you could still use standard tcp/ip between the game server(s) and your database server(s).
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Igilima
So I take it that all of you would warn against using DirectPlay for your client/server communications? Of course, if you were to use DirectPlay, you would be stuck with Windows 2K or XP for your game server.

Not neccsarily. I don''t know anything about DirectPlay, so I wouldn''t discount it just like that. On the other hand, I''d make certain that it can handle the number of connections you''re going to be expecting. Apparently, DirectPlay 8 can handle MMOG numbers of players (but whether that''s "hundreds" or "thousands" I don''t know).

Also, regular sockets aren''t that difficult to write efficiently, as long as you know what you''re doing (but it''s the same with anything, really)

Finally, while I don''t advocate portability of the server, portability of the client is a big plus, and DirectPlay won''t run on Linux (I don''t know what it would be like writing a client for a DirectPlay server in sockets).

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
I guess it is off the topic of the linux vs. windows server thing but since I am working on D3D stuff, my clients are all stuck on Windows anyway.
DirectPlay makes a lot of the network communication very easy to implement in comparison to writing it using Winsock. The reason is because you have a lot less control over what is going on and see a lot less. It just abstracts a lot of things is all.

There''s a relatively easy to use lobby server, among other things and the SDK comes with a lot of examples. If you''re already tied to windows, go ahead and try it. Just remember that you''re not going to see as much of what''s going on, so you won''t understand exactly what the underlying network code is doing as well as you would if you did it yourself with Winsock.

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com
Shameless plug: Game Thoughts
Sorry, I''ve been really busy recently. I just wanted to thank you all for the replies =)

-Jake L

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement