Linux vs. Windows?

Started by
23 comments, last by JakeL 21 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I was recently wondering what OS the current MMORPGs run? I''m assuming they are using Linux primarily and possibly some using windows NT. If anyone has any info on the specific advantages which would make Linux much better than windows, please reply. Also, if you know which OS a specific MMORPG uses, it''d be extremely helpful. Thanks. -drek (BTW, sorry if this has already been covered but sadly the search command is still offline =( )
Advertisement
One advantage Linux has is its free and for a MMORPGs need a few servers, so unless you have alot of upfront capital Windows falls out of the running.

Its not knowing the path but walking it.
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
I dont know about current mmorpgs but generally a well configured linux server is much more stable than a windows one. So for games like mmorpgs it would be more efficient to run on unix -> less downtime.

If an mmorpg is built around sockets (all of them are?), I dont see any reason why they wouldnt run it on a unix os.
In Construction : http://www.gdev.org
Thanks for the replies! The main reason I asked this question was due to that fact that my windows computer hasnt really crashed ever. I was just wondering if Linux was still overwhelmingly more stable? I guess porting server code from Windows<->Linux wouldnt be too hard but what do I know. Anyone here experienced with porting between Linux and Windows? Thanks.
If you stick to standard C/C++, and stick to the BSD sockets portion of WinSock, porting shouldn''t be difficult at all.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
For operating system it all depends on how you configure it to determine how stable it is.
Verant uses Windows NT servers for EverQuest.
NT servers are also used for Asheron''s Call and for Dark Age of Camelot. I know of absolutely no MMORPGs that use Linux, and I have studied most of them closely.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
Wasn''t Asheron''s Call backed by microsoft tho? If so than there''s no real surprise there.
I''ve been running IcarusIndie.com on Win2K for over a year and a half with no downtime due to Windows while consistantly transfering 10s of GB a month (20-40). Hardware and software updates are the only reason it''s been down and even then it''s rare and for only a few minutes to an hour or two at most. I can leave it running for any amount of time and not have to worry about it.

"It can run on Linux" is more of a "neat" thing than a "necessary thing."

My MMO server could easily be ported to Linux but I have no reason to do so.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Tiberian Merchandise!!!! | GameShot ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement