C++ random nubers

Started by
7 comments, last by e4 21 years, 6 months ago
This is probably trivial, but does anyone know how to generate a random number in C++? I #included the cstdlib and called the random function like int x; x = random(100); cout << "Number is " << x << endl; and all it said was random was an undeclared identifier. WTF! Help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
x = rand() % size

so x would be 0-size

-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
That helped, but now when I execute my number is 41 every time!

Here is my program:

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>
using namespace std;

int main()
{

cout << "Your number is " << rand() % 100 << "!" << endl;
cout << endl;

return 0;
}

What i''m trying to do is generate a random number between 0 and 100. I also just tried << rand() << and same thing: 41.

Tried seeding?

srand((unsigned)time(0)); // put me at the top.

EDIT : To clarify, only run that line once (i.e. put it right at the top of main(), outside of any loops, and before any rand() calls.) Also notice that you'll need to include ctime.

[edited by - zealouselixir on October 2, 2002 9:40:34 PM]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

int main()
{
srand((unsigned)time_t(0));
int x = rand();

cout << "Your number is " << x << endl;
cout << endl;

return 0;
}

now it is 38 every time.
Use time() not time_t() I think.

[edited by - Cherez on October 2, 2002 9:45:20 PM]
I got it to work!

// Pre: #include <ctime>
int main()
{
srand((unsigned)time(0));
int x = rand() % 100;

cout << "Your number is " << x << endl;
cout << endl;

return 0;
}

Thanks for all the help peoplez.

Edit: Though I have no clue in the world how or why it works, much less what the 'ctime' class is. Anywhere I can find out more about this?

[edited by - e4 on October 2, 2002 9:48:46 PM]
quote:Original post by Cherez
Use time() not time_t() I think.

Yupyup, time_t is the return type. IIRC, it''s a typecast for an unsigned long.

quote:Original post by e4
Edit: Though I have no clue in the world how or why it works, much less what the 'ctime' class is.

Not a class; it's a header. It just contains data types and functions for dealing with time, namely the system time.
EDIT: Now I guess I get what you're asking. Let's say this: we use the time function to get a seemingly random number (i.e. when passed to the seeding function, it causes pseudochaotic behavior and it changes often) to "seed" our RNG with, because computers can't just pull random numbers out of their patooties (yes, that IS a technical term). Basically, it sets an initial value for the random number, and the sequence generated is dependent on this value. Because it changes often, you have a greater chance of geting a "more random" series.
quote:Anywhere I can find out more about this?

MSDN owns you.

[edited by - zealouselixir on October 2, 2002 11:54:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement