MSVC++ 6.0 - Specific: Compiling my OpenGL Stuff

Started by
14 comments, last by spud 21 years, 6 months ago
And release your 3D filebrowser, dangit. Actually, I've been using Litestep as a shell replacement to explorer.exe for over a year now, and I love it. However, I still don't have any other file browser besides explorer.exe, which crashes way too much for my comfort. I just need a tiny filebrowser, not a complete shell replacement, to take the place of Windows explorer and purge my system of any nasty Windows GUI influences forever.

[edited by - spud on October 5, 2002 1:12:35 PM]
Advertisement
LOL... I know, I know

I''ve been getting so many emails hassling me about it since I put those screenshots up there

I shouldn''t really complain, it means people want to see it. As soon as I finish the little game project I''m on, I''ll port 3DShell to the latest incarnation of my engine. The codebase it''s running on is so hideous I daren''t even release an .exe...
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
Here''s why the one exe file size optimiztion works...
quote:
/ALIGN:number

This option specifies the alignment of each section within the linear address space of the program. The number argument is in bytes and must be a power of two. The default is 4K. The linker issues a warning if the alignment produces an invalid image.

I''d be carefull if your getting a compiler error. You never know what might happen on someone elses computer.
------------------------------Piggies, I need more piggies![pig][pig][pig][pig][pig][pig]------------------------------Do not invoke the wrath of the Irken elite. [flaming]
but why are the .exe getting smaller with larger /ALIGN''s ? The default is 4k (=4096), the ''trick'' is setting it to 163xx. Is it simply because there are less sections?

Btw: nice trick anyway (thanks for showing it) got down a test .exe from 44k to 7k...
avianRR - Although it will always warn if you''re not building a VXD, I''ve tested on every service pack of everything since Win 95 and never had any problems.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
With the /MD linker options, don''t forget that the C runtime DLL(s) have to be installed on the target machine. Maybe not an issue with MSVCRT.dll, but not everyone has msvcr70.dll and msvcp70.dll.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement