MSVC++ 6.0 - Specific: Compiling my OpenGL Stuff

Started by
14 comments, last by spud 21 years, 6 months ago
So I have this program that I''ve built using knowledge from the Nehe tutorials, and other tutorials all over the net, and it compiles just fine as a debug build. However, if I wanted to trim down the filesize a little, I try a release build, but I get a lot of linker errors about unresolved externals. How do I fix this?
Advertisement
Your Release mode settings are most likely not the same as your Debug mode settings.

You can probably find both under Project->Settings. Compare the two (release/debug), specifically the libraries you are linking.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Yeah, you''re right. That was easy. You know how that jungle of context menus can be sometimes!

Now I have another question. What exactly does a debug build do that makes it so large?
It adds a lot of information and extra code to make sure that you can do things such as tracking the call stack, variable values, parameter values, and more such love. When a debug-mode program crashes violently, the debugger will be able to pick up the failed process, and still give you all the info you need.

In release mode, the extra code is left out. This means, if your program works correctly, it''s no different, except a lot smaller and faster. If it doesn''t work, it''s going to be much harder to find the error.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
As a side note, there''s a small tute on my site showing how to make Release exes a lot smaller just by changing some project settings.

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
[size="2"]www.coldcity.com code, art, life
and don''t forget the upx...
upx??

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
Ah, upx

www.coldcity.com
code, pics, life
I knew about upx, but the compiler tweaks on your site rock. I got my demo (even though it''s only about 10 seconds of quality material, I still have about 9 minutes left to fill. ) down to 8.5 KB. That''s awesome! Anyone care to explain the technical aspect behind the multithreaded DLL usage and the /align:16xxx linker switch?

Anyone care to help me with this damn 9 minute demo I''m trying to make from someone who has never made an OpenGL demo in their life?
Thanks spud

Now I just need to figure out *why* they work - I''ll look into it and get that tute updated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement