Texture Loading without glaux library

Started by
11 comments, last by Rossonero 21 years, 6 months ago
Can anybody tell me any simple way of texture loading without glaux library(im doing the program in openGL+winapi)? A tutorial perhaps?
Advertisement
Here
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
http://nehe.gamedev.net
here you are, here it is.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

DevIL is a great library to load images.
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
@ Nehe - Lesson 33, to be precise
Thanks for your answers.Now my question is, what programmers who code "real games" - commercial games use to load textures? Which way is the best? Is loading textures with glaux bad?
Just look around and see how many games actually use bitmaps as textures - a bitmap is generally considered a large graphics format, and therefore generally not used to store larger images. Any gamewriter should write his own texture loading routines (it''s dead easy for non-compressed formats, such as dib''s, but can become very tricky when getting to images using more difficult compression algorithms - such as jpeg''s, although jpeg''s are not generally used in the game industry as they represent the lossy side of compressed image formats). You could always turn to 3rd party libraries for more difficult formats, but I strongly urge you to not use glaux and write your own bitmap loading routine - simply open up the format specification and see what each byte means - it''s like following a roadmap. Things get more complicated when you try to load RLE encoded bitmaps, so you might want to skip those for the time being, but I''m pretty cofident you won''t be using any 4 or 8 bit bitmaps in your games anyway (mostly)... Just make sure all of your textures are 24-bit, though - that way you won''t run into any surprises when loading and displaying them!

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
ok, loader for which format is the easiest to make?
The simplest would be TGA since it''s only 18 bytes of header then just raw data. OK, it can be compressd (RLE, huffman, quadtree,...) but 95% of images there are just uncomressed RGB(A)

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
bmp are ok and easy but thyey need space, of course, but there is other way:
pack your bmps with rar for example download unrar.dll library (it comes with winrar) and during loading textures, just unpack that (rar routine with unrar.dll is very easy and can be found almost everywhere) and load normal bmp. Size is reduced nearly 10-15 times!
some others trick:
change some magic bytes in rar (6 bytes first for example) and most of users cant change your textures in game.
some other good packers:
tar - open source so you can include it in your code easly
lzh - as above
and dont forget delete your bmps after loading

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement