GLUT, Windows and UNIX

Started by
1 comment, last by Penance 21 years, 6 months ago
Could someone confirm if it''s possible to develop a program on a Windows station using GLUT and have it run on a UNIX station? I have a CG project due and it would be more convenient to code it up on my home PC, but the requirement is that it be in GLUT and that it run on the school''s UNIX machines and I rather not waste my time if coding it in Windows won''t fulfill these requirements. Thanks!
Advertisement
Yes, that''s what GLUT was designed for.

You can develop it on a Windows machine, then recompile it in Unix and have it run in Unix. You cannot transfer the Windows binary to Unix and expect it to run though.

Of course, this assumes that you C++ compilers are actually standard-compliant (i.e. they implement "the same" C++ language), and that you do not rely on system-specific functions.

Try, and learn from the process.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
A very good way to do this is to use Dev-C++ on the windows machine, since it uses gcc, which will compile the same code on Linux.

http://roninmagus.hopto.org
acronymfinder.com - Find any acronym you need!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement