Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daerom

Display Lists, Vertex arrays...

daerom    122
Ok, I don''t know a ton about these, but I do understand they speed things up, but what I hear is that you can not use them for something that changes, like vertex animation or something, is this true? If so, what would be a good way to speed up model drawing on the screen? -Daerom

NeXius    124
really?

vertex arrays are dynamic?

so if I change the array that I set the vertex pointer to in glVertexPointer() it will change the position of the vertices drawn??

daerom    122
Thanks a lot, I will look further into Vertex Arrays... one other question is poised though, is vertex pointers an Nvidia only thing, or is it graphic card independent?

Nevermind, I finally found vertex arrays in the redbook...
-Daerom

[edited by - daerom on October 3, 2002 8:31:07 PM]

daerom    122
Vertex Arrays... ok, I think I have got the hang of this, but one question still remains. Ok, basically my question is this, can you have multiple Vertex Arrays? The way the red book is sounding, the answer is no, I would have to assign a new array as the pointer and then dereference that. If so, that sounds slightly innefficient, or maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Xero-X2    184
What it means is that for each model or such you have a certain group of arrays vertex/color/texture/normal and such and then you say

enable vertex arrays
use model1 vertex
use model1 texture
use model1 normal

draw the arrays out

use model2 vertex
use model2 texture
use model2 normal

draw the arrays out

disable vertex arrays

that is how it works. they are very easy to use but can be hard to setup for use sometimes, if you design a model type its a good idea to keep the struct and requirements of vars in the loop just in case you ever want to use it.