Including skill in text RPGs

Started by
4 comments, last by Kaizton 21 years, 6 months ago
Alright, so I''m coding yet another text fantasy RPG. This time, though, I want to do something a little different from the regular. Instead of having the game entirely based on your characters stats and how many long hours you spend thwacking monsters, I want to write a system that focuses on the skill of the player, not the skill of the character. With a text RPG, though, I''m not sure how I''d do something like this. Any general ideas on how to make this work?
Advertisement
Quests...
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
I''m planning on including quests to add a healthy mix of problem solving in, but that''s not quite what I''m looking for.

Sorry, my question should have been more specific: I''m looking for a way to make the combat system based more on the skill of the player, rather than the common x attacks y system, which is based entirely on stats.
Expand some part of the system, for starters. You could do something where, if you''re unprepared, the monsters make a quick snack out of you. Doesn''t matter if your''re a level 10k knight, the slime isn''t going to get cut by you, hope you have a torch.

You could also do a selection system where you have to predict the opponent''s moves and select proper counters of your own.

Use your imagination, and I''m sure you''ll come up with something great.
Speaking of skills, you could try making the skills (abilities) of PCs customizable. Even if it isn''t often done in a text RPG, it might add a little strategy outside of battles for players.
I don''t think you could design a suitable text game where skill is involved. presuming your talking about the users ability to respond quickly and relevantly to certain situations.

Adding more elements to the attack procedure is your best bet to make things more... "interesting". Such as strengths and weaknesses, Armour could reduce damage been dealt however reduce the chance of avoiding attacks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement