Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyo

distributing a glut program as exe?

since other computers don't have the glut dll how do I distribute an exe program that uses glut? Do I have to include the dll in the folder where the exe is? How does my program know the dll is there? thanks for your time. [edited by - Kyo on October 4, 2002 6:19:30 PM]

Yes. The application''s directory is on the library search path. If the DLL is there, the system will find it.

If you want to get rid of the DLL, you need to download the GLUT source, tweak and recompile it so that a static library is generated.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]

You could also write a small GLUT -> Win32 API translation layer. Your source remains portable, Windows users don''t need the DLL (other platforms probably have GLUT installed anyway), and you can fix minor annoyances like GLUT always switching monitor settings.

I can post or send you what I use to get you started.

Thanks but I just tried the program on another computer and it is incredibly slow. I mean it runs fine on my 800 mhz duron with geforce 2 and 192mb of ram but on a 900mhz athlon with 128mb ram and Voodoo 3 it just went all chuggy and it''s just a doppler effect demo with waves coming out every second of a star, with a maximum of 30 waves, drawn as a textured quad. I''d have thought any PC could handle something as simple as that but the PC i''m doing this for is around 100mhz so i''d probably be better off using the GDI

r u sure youre getting hardware acceleration
voodoo3 is limited to 16bit color,
things that wont have hardware acceleartion in a voodo1/2/3 stencilbuffer destination alpha (and prolly a lot more)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html