• Advertisement

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDL get pixel probs

This topic is 5647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lo All, I'm using a function called getpixel() from one of the tutorials on gamedev, I was going to use to obtain a pixel in my collision detection but I'm having an annoying problem with it. Once I've called the function I am checking the returned color structure to see of the r, g, b are all 255 and if so it should mean that the pixel is part of the test surface, as I am using the test surface as a the surface param to getpixel(). It works, but it also seems to also return an r, g, b of 255 for certain parts of the screen which are totally blank, these spots seem to stay the same each time. Here is the code I use to call the function and test for collision (very basic, its just a test so far):
color = GetPixel(test, rect.x, rect.y);
if(color.r == 255 && color.g == 255  && color.b == 255)
     printf("Detected! %d %d", rect.x, rect.y);
The rect structure, is what I use to hold the position of my ship. And here is the getpixel() function:
SDL_Color GetPixel ( SDL_Surface* pSurface , int x , int y ) 
  SDL_Color color ;
  Uint32 col = 0 ;

//determine position

char* pPosition = ( char* ) pSurface->pixels ;

//offset by y

pPosition += ( pSurface->pitch * y ) ;

//offset by x

pPosition += ( pSurface->format->BytesPerPixel * x ) ;

//copy pixel data

memcpy ( &col , pPosition , pSurface->format->BytesPerPixel ) ;

//convert color

SDL_GetRGB ( col , pSurface->format , &color.r , &color.g , &color.b ) ;
  return ( color ) ;
Any Ideas? Sorry for the length of the post. Thanks in advance.... CoiN [edited by - coin on October 3, 2002 6:21:16 PM]

• Advertisement