Uptime in Linux

Started by
12 comments, last by QBomb 21 years, 6 months ago
quote: When you consider that more electricity is required to start a computer (just like an engine, or any other system overcoming inertia of any form), that whole electricity bill issue becomes moot.

Sure it takes more energy to start a computer or car than it takes to operate normally, but leaving your car running over night (assuming letting it idle that long wouldn''t damage it in the first place) would take much more gas than just cranking it the next morning. Same as florecent lights. But you still turn them off at night when they won''t be used for several hours.

And I''m not completely anal about turning my computer off when I''m not using it. I usually boot it in the morning and turn it off when I go to bed. But I know others that come into a room, turn on their computer, use it for a few minutes, turn it off, come back a few minutes later, turn it back on, etc.

As for Macs, I''ve never got to use one. How about somebody buy me one? Anybody?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
Sure it takes more energy to start a computer or car than it takes to operate normally, but leaving your car running over night (assuming letting it idle that long wouldn''t damage it in the first place) would take much more gas than just cranking it the next morning. Same as florecent lights. But you still turn them off at night when they won''t be used for several hours.

Not if they had a sleep mode. There''s no complete analogy for computers these days. My old machine would spin down the hard disk, switch the monitor off (to be awakened at a signal from the CPU) and turn the power to peripherals off, then go into a minimal response sate. To awaken it, simply press a key. When your car has that, then leaving it on 24/7 may become reasonable (if your car can also fuel on the go).

quote:
As for Macs, I''ve never got to use one.

For the longest time I wouldn''t have recommended them, as they were "somewhat temperamental." Then came OS X. At the very least, go to a store and play around with one for a good half hour. Make sure you check out the utilities (and remember that your home install would come with the Developer CD).
quote:
How do people get to several days uptime? Do they not turn their computers off at night? Are they all freaks who require no sleep? I can understand servers having long uptimes, but what about these ordinary joes running Linux on a desktop machine?

Err.... to run SETI@home?
"Linux is not about free software, it is about community," -- Steve Balmer, Microsoft Chief Executive.
But it''s no fun without the cool GUI! You have to have the GUI to see the signals! It just doesn''t look as impressive without it.
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement