Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zaku2

How would YOU like a FPS?

Would you like a shooter with a story, or an arena style(like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 Arena) Bloody and gory, or like 007 Agent Under Fire?(with no blood..) Short with crap-loads of multiplayer games or LONG with an OK amount of multiplayer? Online? Console, PC? Futuristic, current time? Just post anything you want and I''ll never ask again =)

I like all types of fps'. From the realistic nature of CS/Rainbow Six (Demo)to exaggerated play style of Quake III/TFC. The only fps series I don't like is Unreal Tournament. Too frantic for me.

I don't have a signature

[edited by - Brian Jones on October 3, 2002 10:23:51 PM]

What kind of fps do I want?... One with an rpg in it. I want to kill people and gain experience to attribute to my stats to become godlike so I can kill better due to my experience distribution. The stats should be:

Strength(melee damage, and max weight capacity)
Speed(how fast you move)
Dexterity(how fast you reload, pick up stuff...use your hands)
Accuracy(how good you control your weapon to fire where you are aimed)
Health(... so you can walk through a rocket, and live)
Stanima(so you can run longer, without breaking)

if you think about perfect dark features, these could help
Ambidexterity - Allows you to use 2 weapons at the same time effectively
Disarm skill - It is a handy skill
Jumping - self explanatory
Eyesight - You could heal blurriness faster.

Throw all of this online and you get a great game. Newbies can still kill veterans because they aren''t immortal, etc. Balance would be important... I was gonna say something else important, but I forgot, oh well.

Oooooo... I like that! My friend said something similar to that, with the RPG stuff, except he wanted it to be an actual RPG like Final Fantasy, just the battles went into first person, which I thought wouldn''t go so well...

i want a fps like a well done action movie
one with lots of killing, lots of action, lots of explosions and lots of insane unrealistic stunts. plot can be the typical bad guy steals girl and sells drugs to lil kids kinda thing. not to important.

"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD

I quite liked Agent Under Fire actually, but I do think that it needed a stronger story. So hopes are high for 007:NightFire. IF the PC version is being developed by Gearbox then it can''t be too bad, can it? But for pity''s sake, give it blood. What is a shooter without blood?

One game I would be interested to try is America''s Army... interesting concept and game dynamics by what I hear.

If at first you don''t succeed, call it version 1.0

SketchSoft | SketchNews

Please, it''s just doodle... bloody taken username =P

Number one thing I like in a FPS: aatmosphere.

This is so important. I think this is largely resposible for the success of Half-Life, MoA:AA, AvP, System Shock 1 & 2, and a lot of others.

Think about it. Remember the first time you see a scientist geting pulled up and eating by a tentacle? That was more about atmosphere than gameplay (though it did demonstrate what those grey hanging things are). Or on MoA:AA on Normandy beach where the door opens and machine gun fires is hitting from every side, and people are yelling and panicing? That was damn cool, and without it you just be running up a little hill and hiding behind stuff. Or how about on the System Shocks? A lot of those emails you find do not really help gettting through the game but do scare the hell out of you.

This is what creates the immersion that keeps people coming back for more. This is what (IMHO) seperates a good fps from a arcade twitch game like Pac-Man or Centipede.

PHRICTION

Variation in power and quantity. Doom had human grunts who might come at you 10 at a time, and at the other end of the scale, a cyberdemon who was theoretically far, far, harder than you were. The difference between the two extremes would sometimes lull you into complacency, and also emphasise just how big and powerful a cyberdemon was.

Sadly, most FPS games after Doom moved towards higher-poly characters and ended up grinding to a halt if they had more than 3 enemies onscreen at once, so you''d just get a load of enemies varying from ''tough'' to ''super-tough''. The reduction in contrast bored me.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

i want an fps that really simultes shooting people. because you can''t just do that in real life. you cant just gather up a bunch of friends, hand them guns, kick one of em and say tag you''re it. i''d love to have a game with no story, no missions, nothing but a couple people running around with guns. uber realistic and all that stuff.

quote:
Original post by Gaping Head Wound
i want an fps that really simultes shooting people. because you can''t just do that in real life. you cant just gather up a bunch of friends, hand them guns, kick one of em and say tag you''re it. i''d love to have a game with no story, no missions, nothing but a couple people running around with guns. uber realistic and all that stuff.

Who else had the Columbine massacre come to mind after reading that? A game that only exists for the sake of violence isn''t much of a game.

My opinions:
1-It''d be nice if there were multiple paths through the game. Maybe set up to prevent back-tracking, and with multiple "intersections" along the way to allow choosing which way to go. Always going through a game level the same way is boring, and doesn''t reflect the way these games get played (over and over again).
2-It''d be much more challenging to randomly place enemy bots (within some limits) rather than have them set up at the exact same position and direction every time one plays.
3-It''d be nice to have an option for randomly placing big weapons/power-ups/health/whatever in the game. Always finding the same stuff in the same place is nice for newbies, but gets boring fast.
4-It''d be really the sheet to have multiple randomly-generated paths through the game. Like, instead of going through rooms A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J to the end of the level, have 50 different rooms, and randomly pick between maybe 7 and 15 of them, and string them in random order..... I admit, that''s a bit of a tall order for an amateur, though.
~

Thanks for all your ideas and opinions.
Now... as soon as i learn programming and all that... this will help me greatly.
i think into the future WAY too much...lol

seems like you get two types of player..
Arena and Storyline.. which means the games industry is bringing out games for those two markets ^^

Personally I both arena and storyline games. I''d class them seperate. I like fast-paced goury arena type games and slow, take your time or you''ll die and ahve to wait for respawn type games (usually with more of a story) but I don''t like them mixed together really.

In response to Kylotan''s comment about not a varied amount of difficulty monsters. Serious Sam: FE and SE provides for a huge range of creatures requiring different tactics to fight each one.
I don''t like the SS:FE and SE storyline much, nor the gameplay for that matter. But the engine is quite powerful and I can see some good total conversions coming out of it.
Only problem with SS is that the net code is a bit awful, the latest patches should try and fix this up.

Basically, Deus Ex with some improvements:

Combat relying on number and AI of enemies for difficulty, rather than poor firing accuracy of player.

More moves, I want kicking, ledge climbing, wall jumping, rolling...

More destructible environment. A wooden door shouldn''t stand for a rocket. But not as overdone as Red Faction, where relatively modest explosive charges make huge craters in solid ground.

quote:
Original post by core
Gaping Head Wound: "i want an fps that really simultes shooting people. because you can''t just do that in real life. you cant just gather up a bunch of friends, hand them guns, kick one of em and say tag you''re it. i''d love to have a game with no story, no missions, nothing but a couple people running around with guns. uber realistic and all that stuff."

Who else had the Columbine massacre come to mind after reading that? A game that only exists for the sake of violence isn''t much of a game.

i don''t see how this would be any different than most of the other online frag-fests people love to play... raise you hand if you regularly play a multiplayer FPS over the ''net, and the storyline has ANYTHING to do with your game. face it, people find servers and play these games to shoot their friends. why have the silly premises that everyone forgets in five minutes anyway?
i think it would be nice if you could dance on their corpse/guts (depending on what you shot them with), and then track bloody footprints all over the arena. of course, the realistic exploding heads should come first

I like my shooters either like Deus Ex or Ghost Recon, so, if you could do Ghost Recon with a story line, I''d play it. Or, just something like Deus Ex, I don''t care. I''m just not a fan of the mindless shooters (mainly because I suck at them )

You know, with Doom 3 and its engine, the 3 enemies onscreen idea will only get worse. You get to fight one enemy at once! In a tight corridor! Hooray!

quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Variation in power and quantity. Doom had human grunts who might come at you 10 at a time, and at the other end of the scale, a cyberdemon who was theoretically far, far, harder than you were. The difference between the two extremes would sometimes lull you into complacency, and also emphasise just how big and powerful a cyberdemon was.

Sadly, most FPS games after Doom moved towards higher-poly characters and ended up grinding to a halt if they had more than 3 enemies onscreen at once, so you'd just get a load of enemies varying from 'tough' to 'super-tough'. The reduction in contrast bored me.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

[edited by - beantas on October 7, 2002 12:17:35 AM]

quote:
Original post by beantas
You know, with Doom 3 and its engine, the 3 enemies onscreen idea will only get worse. You get to fight one enemy at once! In a tight corridor! Hooray!

Yeah... that''s why I''m not looking forward to it at all, sadly. A real shame.

quote:
Original post by Gaping Head Wound

there''s actually a film out in japan which is exactly like that. a bunch of teenage kids are put on an island, given guns, and the last one alive is the winner. i think it''s gotten banned in nearly every country worldwide .

personally, i want an fps that responds to my every action. enemies should be able to call others when i''m spotted, security cameras pick me up, etc. I hate it when i walk into a room, let off a bazillion grenades and rockets, and the guys in the next room dont even flinch until i walk in there.

SoF2 would have been the perfect game if all the enemies were placed on the map and not loaded as you go through the level. it''s very annoying when you use say the sniper scope to look up at a lookout tower from long range and see nothing there, only to be killed when a sniper is loaded into it when you get close enough. oh, and it cant have invisible walls. another irritating thing of SoF2. And, if i shoot someone with the sniper rifle, he should react immediatly, not just stand there until i get close enough for his AI script to be activated. The only time this doesnt happen is if you kill them, but if you just injure them they stand perfectly still until you get close, and then they start hobbling about.

Doom3 is meant to scare the shit out of you. it isn''t meant to be serious sam. btw, try creating a quake 1 level with 100 monsters in the room and run it on modern computers. not a single bit of slowdown. now THAT''s action! (it''s also the only time you should use the godmode cheat )

quote:
Original post by MENTAL
Doom3 is meant to scare the shit out of you. it isn''t meant to be serious sam.

That''s exactly what I find disappointing. Many FPS games are becoming interactive movies, and fewer are implementing new forms of gameplay. Don''t get me wrong. I will play Doom3 and enjoy it.

But where is all the creativity? I was playing Total Carnage and Smash TV, and realized that all the neat little gameplay ideas that were created in the 2D era haven''t been carried over to the 3D era.