Really Dumb Question

Started by
19 comments, last by fup 21 years, 6 months ago
Excuse my ignorance, but what does MMOPG mean... Massively Multiplayer Online Putting Game? I could understand MMORPG, or even MMPOG at a push but MMOPG stumps me.
Advertisement
While I realize you post frequently to the AI forum that doens''t mean it is your personal chat room. Ask questions in the appropriate places. As a frequent poster you should be setting a good example; sounds cheap but it is true.

Yes, I am posting anonymously - I just don''t feel like fighting about this on and on.
Personal chat room?

The reason I post the occasional off topic question in this forum is because I have made what I consider to be friends here. (hey, who knows, you might even be one of them), and I''d rather ask a friend a dumb question or show them something interesting (but OT) than some anonymous person. Additionally, I very rarely read any of the other forums, I assume some of my ''AI chums'' do likewise. So unless I email each regular on the AI forum personally, it''s easier for me to post here.

Although quite what has upset you I really don''t know. You make it sound as though I make dozens of OT posts every week. I have probably made less than a handful in the last year. Much less than the several hundred posts I have made helping other people. Maybe I should stop posting here altogether. In fact if a few other people agree with you, I will. I thought this was a great relaxed place to discuss AI ideas with like minded people and not some junior school classroom for anal retentives with nothing better to do than quote the rule book.

So please everyone speak up... Can you tolerate my occasional naughtyness or shall I hang my head in shame for the pain and suffering I cause and walk away in disgrace?

Heh well he did give you a warning in the title AP. Personally it''s the ratio of good to bad posts that counts for me, so I''m fine with this esp since that GA tutorial was *really* helpful

And no I have no idea what a MMOPG is - I think ppl just put any string of letters after the initial MMO nowadays just to be different.
Well, I may as well voice my opinion before the true flames start : )

I would a agree with the AP that _this_ specific post doensn''t belong here but that doesn''t mean I think you should leave (or that I really cared about one OT post). Perhaps a less ambiguous subject would be the ticket? As it is now it could be construed as AI related. If it was labeled an OT post or a less ambiguous title then the AP might be placated...

Oh well...

- mongrelprogrammer
- I hate these user ratings. Please rate me down. (Seriously) -
For the record... I do agree that this (and one or two other posts) don''t belong here. And you are correct mp, I should have marked the subject OT.

What annoyed me about APs remark was that he is obviously aware of my contributions to this forum, yet he (or she) was still smallminded enough to complain. I don''t want this forum to end up like the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup... if you''ve ever lurked/posted there you''ll know what I mean I think it''s perfectly reasonable for the occasional OT post to appear. I wouldn''t enjoy reading or contributing to this forum if it was otherwise. What''s the point if you can''t have a bit of banter now and then? It''d be like us all meeting up in a cafe to discuss AI and someone complaining because one of the group mentioned he saw a good film the previous night. Sad indeed.
For the record... I do agree that this (and one or two other posts) don''t belong here. And you are correct mp, I should have marked the subject OT.

What annoyed me about APs remark was that he is obviously aware of my contributions to this forum, yet he (or she) was still smallminded enough to complain. I don''t want this forum to end up like the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup... if you''ve ever lurked/posted there you''ll know what I mean I think it''s perfectly reasonable for the occasional OT post to appear. I wouldn''t enjoy reading or contributing to this forum if it was otherwise. What''s the point if you can''t have a bit of banter now and then? It''d be like us all meeting up in a cafe to discuss AI and someone complaining because one of the group mentioned he saw a good film the previous night. Sad indeed.

ai-junkie.com
Your contribution is very much appreciated, fup, but still... A quick look at your profile shows 4 OT threads in the past month, in this particular forum. In every other Gamedev forums, the threads are closely monitored for OT, and are moved quickly. This forum is not very busy, and it''s not very actively moderated (comparatively), so that''s why your OT posts aren''t treated the same.

It''s up to the moderators to decide what is acceptable or not, but I wouldn''t complain if posts like this one were moved to a more appropriate forum. Sorry. I know how comp.lang.c++ is, but at least, it''s still a pretty good place to discuss about C++, even if it''s not a "friendly community".

To sum up my feelings: mark your threads as OT, and don''t post OT too often.

Cédric
I don''t see what the big deal is?

Fup makes a lot of really good posts, and the AI forum is his primary domain. People look for him here!

Will

------------------http://www.nentari.com
quote:Original post by cedricl
This forum is not very busy, and it''s not very actively moderated (comparatively), so that''s why your OT posts aren''t treated the same.

I''d disagree with all three of those points cedricl.

1) This forum is not busy when compared to say, The Lounge... but compare it to, say, Music and Sound (Sorry Andrew), we''re quite busy!

2) Generally speaking, this forum attracts far fewer trolls than any other forum and I believe this is because: a) it is a technical forum; and b) because this forum IS effectively moderated.

3) I cannod speak for the other moderators, but fup''s OT thread(s) weren''t closed by me because they weren''t excessive, weren''t offensive and because he has made a lot of contributions to this community... and yes, that does earn you some Force Points in my book, to be used up in times of need!

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement