Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pik

GC controller porting

Pik    100
After playing around with the Gamecube a bit, I''ve found that I really like the controller. I''m making an attempt at porting the controller over so that I can use it on my computer. I don''t have the gamecube system, but I do have the controller itself, and as soon as I find a little bit more information about the system itself, I can begin figuring out how the controller works by connecting it to a serial/parrallel port and working with the data that is sent. Is anyone else interested in trying to get the controller working on their computer? The main thing I need right now, is to figure out what two of the six pins do. The pins I need to find are the ground pin, and the power pin. Also, I need the voltage coming across the power pin (+5V?). Could someone out there be kind enough to poke a multimeter into their Gamecube for me? This should be safe to do, but just in case, be sure to ground out the other side of the multimeter and only have contact with one pin at a time. I know that is a lot to ask, and I''m guessing no one will do it. If someone does though, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! If anyone else is interested in porting the controller to their computer, just say so. Also, if anyone has any information that would be of help, please post it or email me. Thanks

Xanth    122
It would definitely be cool to hook the GC Controller up to my computer, as I really, REALLY like it, it is so comfortable.

Unfortunately I don't have any tools I'd need, or enough knowledge/experience to use them if I did.

Wouldn't you need to write a driver for it as well?

Sorry I couldn't be any help. I would like to know how you progress though.

[edited by - Xanth on October 4, 2002 1:52:33 PM]

mlambert    562
Sites like Lik-Sang sell adapters for the GC controller (although Lik-Sang appears to be down, caused by M$).

I''ve tried the N64 versions and they rock, so look out for the GC ones.

Marc.

tarheel    122
On a similar note, I''m trying to figure out a way to transfer Gamecube save files over the Net, much in the same way either the old-school Dex drive did, or even its predecessor, the SharkPort does.

Anyone have ideas or know of anyone who has already done this? If so, are there any schematics drawn up on the Net?

Jim Adams    440
I haven''t seen anything, but more than likely the cards are simple eproms or memory chips that can be read with the proper connections. Take a look back at games that use battery backups and at some old cart readers for the NES, Genesis, etc. To read memory from a chip, you apply voltage, flip the address bits of the memory controller, and read in the memory from the destination bits. You could even make a simple plug-in device for your parallel port that reads in the cards.

Jim Adams    440
I was talking about the memory card, not controllers. You can create a small circuit the converts the signals for you easily in any way, memory card or controller.