Warez installers :)

Started by
76 comments, last by Yann L 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by spock
Two of them uses a library called BASSMOD for MOD playback, while one of them (the Civ3 one) only seem to import the winmm waveOut* functions - it might use a custom music player or some statically linked library.
[edited by - spock on October 4, 2002 5:29:10 PM]

my bet would be minifmod...
Advertisement
Hmm, hot topic title... The whole thing is OK, as long as you''re discussing the intro effects only. But don''t let it go further than that.
Ok, so how would I go about getting particle systems like that with the advanced crossfading\morphing\interpolation between shapes\objects and text etc? starfield effects etc are simple, but im not sure about how to do this this...
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
While I do find the convo slightly amusing I would like to say that it was a tad bit unprovoked... to an extent. Anyway, I've always admired the installers from groups and have (until recently) limited myself to Visual Basic (ack I admitted it). However now I've been programming in VC++ for about 5 months or so. Its nice to program in a language you know you can really create something useful in. I would like to get in contact with some of the people who program the installers for Myth or Class. I've always found the installers to be visually captivating and a true image of what the scene today really is at heart and what it used to be before my time. The music in these programs is also reminiscent of a time gone but not forgotten.

Like ellis I'm interested in the particle systems (and other parts) because I'm programming my first real "installer" in a similar way that the large groups create theirs. I'm not asking for admittance into the scene but some assistance from the people whom I admire for their place in the larger picture. Unlike ellis I'm not interested in participating in a flame war with someone in one of the myth channels

Edited for spelling and grammar.

MindEngine Developer Network

[edited by - neurokaotix on October 5, 2002 2:20:49 AM]
Can we do a preemptive ban on the warez kids too?

Sneftel, I know I sounded angry, but this is a serious issue. My work has employed quite a few guys that were forced to look for a new job because the developer they were working for went under. Not because they made shoddy games, but because the company just didn''t have enough money to keep running.

I''m not saying that everyone can afford to buy a computer game whenever they want (I sure as hell couldn''t when I was in uni), but I am saying that if you want one, you should save up and not download it from these people. The warezers just don''t realise (or care) that people''s ability to feed themselves and their families is affected by whether people buy their game or not.

In effect they''re biting the hand that feeds them. If they carry on, the only developers left will be the big ones (id, Epic etc) who can afford to lose 50% of their sales. Unfortunately these are the developers who like to churn out iterations of the same game over and over. The smaller more innovative developers go out of business, as publishers don''t like to back a game that isn''t guaranteed to make money.

Rant over (for now!)

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
Well... we''re the not the so-called warez kids you seek buddy, we''re talking about warez installers. Not pirated software. MFC applications. Nothing of any pirated software has been spoken in this thread (except by people claiming that this is what we''re talking about, e.g. you)
Man! that guy who posted that converstion up there has edited it!! now thats not fair! and I dont have the original logs of it either...
edit: thanks mod for removing it.

quote:Original post by siaspete
Can we do a preemptive ban on the warez kids too?

Sneftel, I know I sounded angry, but this is a serious issue. My work has employed quite a few guys that were forced to look for a new job because the developer they were working for went under. Not because they made shoddy games, but because the company just didn't have enough money to keep running.

I'm not saying that everyone can afford to buy a computer game whenever they want (I sure as hell couldn't when I was in uni), but I am saying that if you want one, you should save up and not download it from these people. The warezers just don't realise (or care) that people's ability to feed themselves and their families is affected by whether people buy their game or not.

In effect they're biting the hand that feeds them. If they carry on, the only developers left will be the big ones (id, Epic etc) who can afford to lose 50% of their sales. Unfortunately these are the developers who like to churn out iterations of the same game over and over. The smaller more innovative developers go out of business, as publishers don't like to back a game that isn't guaranteed to make money.

Rant over (for now!)

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

Man did you not even read what I said in my post, yes we all know warez is bad, please dont continue on about this, this debate has happened SO many times here on Gamedev, this isnt about that.

[edited by - elis-cool on October 5, 2002 10:24:44 AM]
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
hey the graphical effects in media player and winamp are kewl too, i''d also like to know how those are done?

thanks!
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
quote:Original post by elis-cool
Man did you not even read what I said in my post, yes we all know warez is bad, please dont continue on about this, this debate has happened SO many times here on Gamedev, this isnt about that.

I don''t want warezers getting involved with gd.net (thanks for giving them the link by the way) and I don''t want gd.net involved with warez. To me, that means installers and anything else related to it.

Sure the installers look good, but I really don''t see why you couldn''t research the individual parts of the programs (particles, non-rectangular windows, midi, etc) separately instead of posting a load of pics and going "Wow these are COOL!"

Helpful links:
Ten years ago, in the not-so-old time of mode13... there were some very impressive effects done. Sometime you wondered how they could pack that much without slowing the computer out to cr@p.

Now, with all the power advances in computer processing, I''m not surprised that the CPU could obtain a good fillrate on such small windows.

As of the particles effects, I would be very surprised if they used and made a good modular one that can basically do anything with inheritance and polymorphism. No, they just made one with a stupid array of points, put a math formula and displayed that to screen. No need for an engine in such trivial tasks. However, I didn''t see them so I couldn''t tell, but from here they look very impressive, except the green one, it looks like the guy was colorblind.

It''s a shame that the last remnents of the demoworld are spent on warez installers tough. They were so popular in 90s and now it''s pretty much limited to warez installers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement