Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g

orientation of a spaceship

g    135
I''m writing a space game in which you have free control of a fighter like craft in three dimensions - think X-wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, Freespace, Elite, X-Comm Interceptor, to name but a few. Anyhow, the problem is deciding how best to represent the orientation of a ship in 3D. The game will have multiplayer support, so it is important that orientations can be easily extrapolated from old orientations and angular velocities. Possibilities may include: - storing some kind of heading, pitch and roll in radians; but this might be quite awkward to work with, and I''m not sure how the extrapolation might work. - storing a normalised ''forwards'' vector; but this doesn''t contain any information on the ''roll'' of the ship; I could use another value or vector to hold this information, but I''m not sure how best to do it. - matrices? - quaternians? (I don''t know anything about them) So that''s basically it - especially if you have any experience of doing this before, I would like you hear your recommendations.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve been doing something similar, I use a normalised forward vector and a normal to it, that covers all your angles, so to speak

Lars W.    122
Hi
I am storing direction, normal and side. I translate them by the rotation values (roll, pitch and yaw) every frame and also keep my transform matrix and their inverse updated.
If i need synchronisation i can rebuild the transform matrix from the direction, normal and side.

But i still have a problem:
My spaceship has a current orientation (oDir,oNorm,oSide). Now i want it to point to a new target orientation (tDir,tNorm,tSide). For that i need to specify the roll (rotation around z), pitch(around x) and yaw(around y) values. Normally i do this with my joystick without problems, but i want my AI doing the same. So how do i get the rotational values from two orientations ?

Thanks
Lars

[edited by - Lars W. on October 4, 2002 6:50:34 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I would use either a matrix or quaterions. To move you ship, multiply the current matrix by a rotation around the X,Y,or Z axis of the current matrix (ie the 1st,2nd,or 2rd row of that matrix if row-major).

Xero-X2    184
I really recommend quaternions I made a little mini space flyer in about 30 mins with them (opengl,thrust,brake,mouse control for look, full freedom of rotation includeing roll)

you can learn about quaternions here on gamedev.net under articles & resources->Math and Physics->Quaternions

( http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=28#150 )

[edited by - Xero-X2 on October 4, 2002 5:22:27 PM]

crossbow    122
Since we''re on the topic of quaternions, I was wondering exactly what SLERP is? What uses does it have, for instance? And what does the interpolation in the acronym SLERP mean anyways? Just wondering.

Thanks!