Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hedos

DisplayMode problem

Hedos    674
I want to use a function to check if the Display Mode can handle the color format, but I always obtain an error at compilation(I use Visual C++ 6.0): error C2664: ''CheckDeviceType'' : cannot convert parameter 3 from ''struct _D3DDISPLAYMODE *'' to ''enum _D3DFORMAT'' My code is: IDirect3D8 g_pD3D; D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm; if(FAILED(g_pD3D->CheckDeviceType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,&d3ddm, &d3ddm, FALSE))) return FALSE; This code is from the book "Programming Role-Playing game with DirectX"

TheAIDSVirus    122
The third and fourth parameters of the CheckDeviceType function specify the front and back buffer formats that you intend to test. You are sending a pointer to the entire display mode structure. Instead of:

if(FAILED(g_pD3D->CheckDeviceType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,&d3ddm, &d3ddm, FALSE)))

Try:

if(FAILED(g_pD3D->CheckDeviceType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,d3ddm.Format,d3ddm.Format, FALSE)))

That may not work considering I don''t know if you''ve initialized d3ddm. If not, then just specify specific formats that you want to check. For example:

if(FAILED(g_pD3D->CheckDeviceType(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8,D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, FALSE)))

For a list of display formats, look up D3DFORMAT in the MSDN.

----
AIDS