Borderless Window Resizing

Started by
3 comments, last by revolver 24 years ago
I''m trying to setup a Window to have a certain behaviour -- I need it to be resizable, but not have the WS_THICKFRAME (or equivalent) attribute. I''ve tried toying with various combinations of styles and extended styles, but the only way I could get a resizeable form was to have a border -- which I really don''t want. I''d appreciate any thoughts on the matter...what am I missing that''s undoubtedly obvious?
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
Advertisement
There is no way to have a resizeable window without a border -- the WS_THICKFRAME style is equivalent to the WS_SIZEBOX style. You could track custom mouse messages, but I don''t know of any reason why you wouldn''t want to have a resizable window without a border...what are you trying to do? Maybe there is a better way...

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
you could make a window with a border, but update the non-client area yourself. (you would then have to respond to some of the WM_NC* messages, most notably WM_NCPAINT)

Get off my lawn!

I'm working on some applications (tools for my engine), but I don't want them to have the standard Windows UI appearance. I suppose I can do my own drawing, or just tough it out...

Thanks. =)

Edited by - revolver on 4/15/00 10:11:18 AM
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
I'd advise using DX to do the drawing and input, and look at the articles here on writing your own GUI. It can be as simple as you want it.

[rambling]
However, if it's a (business) Windows app, then you should use the Windows GUI. That's they way it should be -- programmers try to write their own GUI every time, but in a regular (non-game, but business) Windows app, that's bad programming. Windows' GUI is already very functional. One reason why nobody likes Windows' GUI is that no one uses it! Every program has their own "custom" controls, which are neat as a programming accomplishment but serve no real purpose, except to confound the end user. (Look at Netscape's latest browser -- worst example I can find.) There are exceptions to this, but most apps just create headaches for themselves.
[/rambling]

But perhaps it would be easier to just take most of your drawing and input code and use that for your own simple GUI, just because it's easier to get your editors done and you don't care who (outside your development team) has to use them. Custom controls are best used sparingly, at the times when they are absolutely needed.

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia

Edited by - null_pointer on 4/15/00 5:32:13 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement