How to blend two colours ????

Started by
8 comments, last by TheMummy 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi there, I want to combine two colours to a new colour, for example for transparncy and for lighting effects. How do I calculate the resulting colour ? Rres = (Ra+Rb) / 2 Bres = (Ba+BB) / 2 .... ???? Is there a difference between the blending with lights and the blending with transparent surfaces? (additive/subtractive colour mixing ????) Can somone explain. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
If you are writing your own rendering engine (using no API) then I can''t help you, but if you are using GL, then just look in the Red Book for the blending/lighting equations.
You can find this book on the internet - just look over on Nehe''s site for the link

-Mezz
Here''s a simple alpha-blending equation:

C = A*a + B*(1-a)
= A*a + B - B*a
= B + (A-B)*a // simplified

where a (your alpha value) is in the range from 0.0 to 1.0

In terms of color components RGB, you can express this as:

Cr = Br + (Ar - Br)*a // red
Cg = Bg + (Ag - Bg)*a // green
Cb = Bb + (Ab - Bb)*a // blue

So, when a is 0, your resulting color C will be B.
When a is 1, your resulting color C will be A.

A 50% blend would be:
A*0.5 + B*(1-0.5) = A*1/2 + B*1/2 = (A+B) / 2

which is exactly what you had in your post above.
Thanks,
Lightmap blending:
What would I have to do when I have two lightmaps, and I want to combine them into one. The lightmaps have a R,G,B and an Alpha channel?

Illumination:
In a shortened german Version of the Red Book I found a formula: a light with the color A hits a surface with the color B, the resulting color displayed on screen will be C.

C = A * B

Cr = Ar * Br
Cg = Ag * Bg
Cb = Ab * Bb

BUT where is the alpha channel? I have an Alpha channel in my lightmaps (well, will have...) How would I have to calculate the resulting color? Blend the two colors or multiply them? I am a bit slow in understanding.
Just like in real world. If theres for example one light pointing on a wall, and then anoter light is pointing on this position too, it is as double as bright as before.

R1 + R2 = Rl _//red light

If it is no light, just blending 2 textures, you must calculate it like this:

(R1 + R2) /2 = Rb _//Red blend

Edited by - Anonymous Poster on 4/18/00 2:56:09 AM
i am the 2 between 0 and 1
Are you sure?
quote: (R1 + R2) /2 = Rb _//Red blend

that would be:
(R1red + R2red) / 2 = Rbred
(R1green + R2green) / 2 = Rbgreen
(R1blue + R2blue) / 2 = Rbblue
(R1alpha + R2alpha) / 2 = Rbalpha

When I blend two Texels with 4 channels shall I then ignore the alpha values ??
Hello again,
I still wait for a reply ;-) !
I have two Lightmaps of a polygon, I want to combine them into one Lightmap to save memory and render time. What is the correct formula to combine them ?

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!
To combine two lightmaps you should add the values, because it they represent two lightsources and light is additive, so do it like this:

NewMap = Min(LightMap1 + LightMap2, MaxLight)

Where MaxLight is set to the maximum value that your lightmaps can have (28-1 = 255 for 8 bit channels). Do this for each channel (Red, Green, and Blue) and pixel in the lightmaps.

I don''t know what you want to use the alpha channel in your lightmap for, but it certainly isn''t for combining two lightmaps.

When you light your polygons with the lightmap you are should multiply the color of the polygon with the color of the lightmap.

DestColor = PolyColor*LightmapColor

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hi WitchLord,

A few months ago I asked a web-friend how lightmaps work. He replied that there are two textures a solid and a transparent one, the lightmap . First I have to draw the solid and then I have to blend the other one. So I thought I need an Alpha Channel and a blending function like: SCREEN = SOLID*(1-alpha) + LIGHTMAP*alpha <- like the GL_ONE_MINUS_SOURCE_ALPHA in ogl.

Is that wrong ?

Edited by - TheMummy on 5/4/00 7:06:55 AM
Yes it''s wrong. The lightmap is supposed to ''simulate'' the lighting that OGL or D3D do at the vertices, i.e. the light is multiplied with the color of the material (texture). That is why the blending function should be

glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR, GL_ZERO);

when rendering the lightmap.

This multiplies the color of the lightmap with the color that is already in the framebuffer (from the solid texture).

The lightmap is transparent in the effect that if you don''t render the solid texture first, you can see what is behind the lightmap (unless it''s completely black). The lightmap should in other words not have a alpha channel.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement