Which Quake Engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by thekid 24 years ago
I was wondering which quake engine does half-life use? and I also want to know how much they added to it to bring for half life? I think it is an excelent engine for being a few years old.
Advertisement
Half-Life is derived from the Quake II engine.

Cheers,
[MG]Kaewan

The Mage Guild
The Mage Guild
Just the post I was waiting for. Even though they SAY it is Quake2, I think I have enough evidence that it is the Quake1 engine with D3D and OpenGL.

1. In software mode there is no translucent water
2. In software mode, you are either out of the water or in it
3. Some Quake 1 commands are still in Half-Life that were taken out of Quake 2. Commands like cl_bob and host_framerate

Why would they go through all of the trouble making Half-Life act like Quake1.
I have heard that it uses the Quake II engine but it was over 50% modified to suit their needs. That would account for the differences nes8bit was talking about. Maybe that''s just how they wanted it.

*** Triality ***
*** Triality ***
A lot of HL is based on the quake1 enegine, hell look at the models, they are compiled with the model unlike quake2 which has the textures seperate, which I like a lot more

Anyway. They started out with the quake1 engine,and its HEAVILY modified. But I do think they lisenced quake2 later on to use some of its features. But its core is quake1.. Scary eh? Also I think the bindings and command line stuff is quake1 format.

But I heard that It only uses 20% of q1/2 code, mainly to do with file systems, and the q1 netcode, with a few multiplayer and console features from Quake 2 and the other 80% is new code.

still its mostly q1 and new code..

Im not making much sense.
Wow, I thought I was crazy. All of my friends, which are all stupid, completely disagree with me because Quake1 uses software only(with a GL port) and Quake2 uses Hardware and Software. Where did you hear/read about this Q1 stuff?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement