• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rah

Water effects...

This topic is 6788 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m currently writing a game which will involve objects (boats, basically ) being situated on a large stretch of water (ie. the sea). Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve an animated effect for the water? I''m running in 16bit so unfrotunately palette shifts aren''t a possiblity. So basically, I''m just fishing for some inspiration Cheers, -- Russ

Advertisement
Hi,
Not entirely sure how your going about your game, but if it is 3d, and you''ve got horsepower, triangle meshes work well (see GeForce demos) otherwise, you can check out an older tutorial here on gamedev.net under the programming section.

-Mezz

I''ve not thought much about it, buyt maybe you can use bump mapping.

I know some games have been using it for nice looking water, but I don''t know what you can do exactly.

With some imagination...

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

Consider using procedural textures, as seen in UnReal. Take a watery looking texture then warp it in a sin wave. Looks good, but tends to give a stylized watery effect since its not exactly realistic. Or you could simply have a surface mesh that ripples up and down to simulate waves. Make it environment mapped and it should look very pleasing..

Will McGugan

quote:
Original post by Rah

Hi,

I''m currently writing a game which will involve objects (boats, basically ) being situated on a large stretch of water (ie. the sea).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve an animated effect for the water? I''m running in 16bit so unfrotunately palette shifts aren''t a possiblity.

So basically, I''m just fishing for some inspiration

Cheers,
--
Russ

Cheers for the thoughts guys; has given me some good stuff to mull over

Thanks again...

--
Rah

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!