Religious posts

Started by
20 comments, last by Jim_Ross 24 years ago
I think that you should delete all posts that have religion (any religion) related terms in their title. Except in places like the lounge or the feedback. Here are my reasons: 1. they never get the answers for which the original poster was looking 2. they are highly flamable 3. they are offensive The first two reasons would probably not merit my request, but just reading religious terms in the title of posts tends to offend me.
Advertisement
I whole haeartly agree. I get offended. And when facing the task of reading some replies, I get even more so, by the sheer ignorance of people.

Post with religeon are like posts about race. I wodner if people would be offended if I posted stuff like "Searching for Artists, only white americans apply"...

Common, gimme a break.

int main() {
   if(reply.IsSpam()) {
      while(true) {
         int*ptr=new int[1000000];
         reply.RandomInsult(); } }
   else std::cout<< "mailto:amorano@bworks.com"
}
i 3rd this motion. this is not the place for proselytizing. it makes me want to not read gamedev.net.
First of all, if posts dealing with religion offend you, then I think the obvious, yet surprisingly evasive, solution is NOT TO READ THEM. It's not difficult, you simply don't click on the link.

>> 1. they never get the answers for which the original poster was looking

That's because people start flaming them for their beliefs and cause the thread to go off topic.

>> 2. they are highly flamable

So are a lot of other topics discussed on these boards.

>> 3. they are offensive

If they offend you, don't read them. There are many threads on these boards that offend me. However, I take the obvious approach and I don't read those threads.

quote:
I whole haeartly agree. I get offended. And when facing the task of reading some replies, I get even more so, by the sheer ignorance of people.

Ignorance abounds on all sides of religious discussion. Ignorance abounds on these boards period. Does that mean every post that displays ignorance of some sort should be deleted?

quote:
Post with religeon are like posts about race. I wodner if people would be offended if I posted stuff like "Searching for Artists, only white americans apply"...

Religion and Race are two totally different things. Your example is poor.

I myself am a Christian. If there were a post "Game Project: Hindu applicants only" then I would not be offended. I doubt I would even read it. I would CERTAINLY not post a message to that thread telling the poster how stupid they are and how offended they made me. Perhaps you two should think about it and do the same.

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com

Edited by - Josh on 4/17/00 1:25:10 PM
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com
I whole-heartedly agree with Josh.

What offends me is how people immediately jump on and flame any Christian poster. What makes me not want to read Gamedev is how immature so many posters are.

bcj
Hmm... well, as you can see, deleting posts is never a trivial thing for us, and having a blanket policy to delete all posts mentioning religion is sure to cause more problems than just letting them go. We do, however, make an effort to be sure that all off-topic posts get moved to the appropriate forum, and if threads start straying of the original topic, we close or delete them as needed. Unfortunately, the close feature doesn''t work the way it should (working on that). I notice now that the thread in the Help Wanted section that I closed is still going strong, so, apologies to those who tried to stick to the original topic, but I''m going to delete it now.

I also want to say that I''ve been disappointed with the fact that as our membership has grown, the level of maturity of many posts has dropped. If we are too proactive in deleting immature posts, people are going to bitch that we are censoring them, but if we just let it go, our quality posters are going to lose interest. So, we have to find a balance on our end, but the bulk of the responsibilty lies with our visitors. This is supposed to be a place where you can talk to your peers about game development. An off-topic post from time to time is fine and expected, but if you are spending the bulk of your time here making non-game dev related posts, maybe it''s time to get off the ''net, fire up your compiler/modeler/whatever, and start doing the thing which supposedly brought us all here in the first place.
Maybe it''s time to introduce some kind of a post-rating-system. Lets say that when you become a member you get level 0. When you start flaming people, your level will go down and when you say something usefull, your level will go up. Then the members of Gamedev.net should be able to select the lowest level of posts they want to read, so you don''t have to read flame-posts. Only problems is, who is going to maintain the members levels. But I think it''s possible (I''ve seen other forums using it).

-my 2 cents-
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
Ok, Josh, and how about you solve world hunger by just feeding the people? Or world peace by not fighting? The solution is not as simple as it sounds.

1). Religion should only be discussed when appropriate.
2). Religious arguments lead to wars.
3). Yes, the example provided about chooisng by race is incredibly similar. Saying I need a Christian programmer, no others need aply is like saying I need a White American between the ages of 20 and 30 and no women allowed.
quote:Original post by Arjan

Maybe it''s time to introduce some kind of a post-rating-system. Lets say that when you become a member you get level 0. When you start flaming people, your level will go down and when you say something usefull, your level will go up. Then the members of Gamedev.net should be able to select the lowest level of posts they want to read, so you don''t have to read flame-posts. Only problems is, who is going to maintain the members levels. But I think it''s possible (I''ve seen other forums using it).

-my 2 cents-

Yeah, it''s possible, and our current system has the framework in place to make it a reality. When the idea was first suggested, I didn''t think it was necessary, but it has gotten to the point now (sadly) that having such a system is the best solution.
Hold on here. I said posts with religious terms in the title. I don''t read all posts, but you can''t just expect me to not read all the topics. Of course I would bet that your response, Josh, would be for me to not read anything on the gd.net board at all. I wish someone would delete this post right now. It''s full of garbage and nothing good will ever come of it now. I know I said two sentences after making my point so let me say it again for everyone who forgot it already. POSTS WITH "RELIGION" OR RELIGIOUS TERMS IN THEIR TITLE SHOULD BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY. This is not a theological board, and if you have to include one word about any religion in your post''s title for "general programming" or "help wanted" you have posted in the wrong place and it should be corrected.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement