Delphi 7 & Console Apps

Started by
9 comments, last by Xorcist 21 years, 6 months ago
Can the personal edition of Delphi 7 make console apps like the previous versions, or has that changed along with the .NET stuff? On that same note, does anyone know where I can get a download of Delphi 6 personal edition? [edited by - Xorcist on October 15, 2002 4:36:45 PM]
Advertisement
Also... does Borland offer a free commandline compiler for Delphi? If not, are there any other alternatives?
I see no reason why Delphi 7 would remove the feature, and from what I can tell Delphi 7 does *not* directly support .Net yet, it simply adds "hints" when making your apps to make the (later) transition seamless.

As for Delphi 6 Personal, they have removed it from the main page, and for a while you could still download it if you knew the URL but that seems to be gone now too. If anyone could spare the space and bandwidth I could always upload the installer (140MB, would take about 4 hours on my connection [slow upload]) along with instructions on how to install it.
Well I don''t have any space myself, but if anyone else does please post. Or if you have a CDWriter and won''t mind mailing a copy to me, send an e-mail over to Xorcist@POBoxes.com. Thanks.
Why do you want Delphi6? Delphi7 is better.
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
quote:Original post by Useless Hacker
Why do you want Delphi6? Delphi7 is better.

Delphi 7 is only available for download as a trial version (30 day trial of the best [most expensive] version).

Delphi 6 Personal is free (though it is obvously the lowest on the scale, it has the smallest out of the box component set, no optimizing compiler, and the IDE is missing several key productivity features [like autocomplete, which is a feature that should be in *all* Object Oriented or other declaration heavy compilers])
Newer doesn''t always equal better. Plus Delphi 6.0 is free, which is what I need. Also I''m not looking to do any commercial development, it''s mainly for educational use. So if anyone out there can get me a copy, please let me know. Thanks.
Look out for a British computing magazine called PCPlus. The December 2002 issue comes with a copy of Delphi 7 standard.
"Linux is not about free software, it is about community," -- Steve Balmer, Microsoft Chief Executive.
quote:...no optimizing compiler, and the IDE is missing several key productivity features [like autocomplete, which is a feature that should be in *all* Object Oriented or other declaration heavy compilers])

Unlike Microsoft, ALL editions (at least v4 and up) of Delphi and C++ Builder come with the same compiler. Thus, you get the same optimizing compiler with the Standard or Enterprise versions. Which is cool . The main thing that seperates them is the number of shipped components.

As for autocomplete, I''m not sure what you''re referring too, but there''s word completion (CTRL + SPACE) and you get a list of possible items. But you do lack the class browser, and that''s a major pain.
"Linux is not about free software, it is about community," -- Steve Balmer, Microsoft Chief Executive.
Lucky me, I found an active FTP server that still has it up, as well as it''s updates. Now I just gotta make sure it installs okay, and in English

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement