Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stodge

Game co-ordinate system

I know this is probably a very far fetched question, but would a co-ordinate system represented using floats be big enough to map say the United Kindgom? Thanks!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, I have a coordinate system that maps an entire planet with the surface area around the same as the area of the United States.

I''m not sure what precision I need; I want to model down to individual player level, who will be walking around towns and villages. So I guess real-world precision.

Real world precision is actually infinite.... I assume that you mean centimeters then, since players moving in meter jumps would look a little weird. Well... cant see it being done with one variable. Oh Im sure theres a way, but I expect you''ll have to find a way to get extra space by combining two floats or something. OK I got no idea how, but thats probrably the sort of thing Id look at.

Alternatively, couldnt you section the globe into sectors, and store the players current sector, and their relative position in that sector

-----

Oops just realised that you actually said just the UK... ah well, I still like the sector idea

- Ashley Oliver
Lead Programmer, Interplanitary Productions

I think that sectors are probably the way to go. All objects in each sector are referenced though local co-ordinates relative to that sector.