Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie in need of help.....

This topic is 5541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all i''m new to the world of game developing and i need some help. At my high school i learned C++ and am still learning more and one of my friends said to download DirectX SDK 8.1 if i wanted to make games, which has been my dream, so i did. After 11 hours on my 56k modem i finally got it. So i now all i need is some good tutorials or whatever to teach me the basics of making games in C++. Problem is i don''t have any money so they''ll have to be free. Well thanks everyone bye!!!

i think you should find yourself a job, earn cash and buy a book. Books are the best way of learning when it comes to programming. MAybe wait till your birthday/christmas and ask a book then. In the meanwhile you can practice some more with C++.

Sand Hawk

----------------
-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

My Site

I would have to agree. Books are the best way to go. Find yourself a job, or better yet, at christmas (only 2 months away :D) Ask for these 2 books to get you started on directX programming. Game Programming All in One, and Programming role-playing games in direct x (even though you might not like rpgs, this book has nice engine design) Those two books on amazon are 130 total (that''s canadian) so around 96 american. It''s not that expensive.

As for ONLINE TUTORIALS FOR DIRECT X.

There are none that are as good as books. They presume you have a hell of a lot of knowledge in all areas, including the win32 api. GL

ok since no one is going to give you useful advice i will.

www.andypike.com //Great DirectX tutorials
www.nehe.gamedev.net //Great DIrectX tutorials

both are very good sites to help learn DirectX

btw if you are low on cash and online resources are you only option maybe you should give OpenGL a chance. I think there are many more online resources for OpenGL and you can makes games with this also, or at least the graphics