Assembly in Game Programming

Started by
17 comments, last by tank104 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I checked through all the recent posts and couldn''t find anything on this topic and the forum search doesn''t work so please don''t flame me if this is a repeat question . Anyway I was wondering if assembly is used much anymore when programming C++ and DirectX? I am wondering weather it is worth continuing learning of Assembly to help build a better graphics engine and whether it is used in the industry? Cheers
Advertisement
two words..."Pixel Shaders"

If you arn''t aiming for the cutting edge of 3D game engine development...or are worried about trying to please low end PC owners...then you would be relitivly okay without knowledge of any assembly.

But if you ever want to do console development, or just get the most out of your computer...then some knowledge of assembly basics are highly recommended (every processer is different, which requires different sintax (and assembler)...however the opcodes and such are different, but basic programing logic still applies).

I''d say, stick with it...it can only help
learn it, no reason not to. Plus when an employer asks you what you know, assembly ALWAYS looks good. Its the hardest language to learn (besides writing out 1''s and 0''s) so it makes everything else seem easy as pie!
I say learn it, I did =) its not heavly used anymore but its something that defanatly helps. it my opinion that compilers today can optimize basic code better than most people (notice basic code & most people =) there are places where assembly code would help improve speed, but the prime reason that I sugest learning assembly is so you know how to optimize code. they''re lots of little tricks & gotcha''s that you learn about when learning assembly that just aren''t talked about in higher level languages (for example using shifts instead of multiplies & divideds when possable, or reorganizing code to take advantage of pipelining, ect)
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
Can anyone recommend a good book on assembly for the PC?

I''d prefer something that would start with the basics, and then preferrably move onto the newer instruction sets like MMX, SSE/3DNow. Something I could use as a good reference.

I''ve already downloaded the Art of Assembly language programming, and a few other tutorials, but wouldn''t mind having a book on the subject.
quote:Original post by Mulligan
Its the hardest language to learn (besides writing out 1''s and 0''s) so it makes everything else seem easy as pie!

if you knew how cpu works, youd realize that you are actually writting the 1''s and 0''s when you write assembly.

False (the same would apply for any compiler).
Assembly is considered a second level language, while entering 0's and 1's is first level.

I can remember entering straight hexcodes on my C64 with a so called monitor, whilst keeping track of procedure addresses on a paper notepad (yes paper ) It didn't get you anywhere but was fun to do.

Edit: added some melancholy

[edited by - Prototype on October 17, 2002 4:36:04 PM]
I myself am not much of an assembly guro but back in my dad''s age (idk..20 yrs ago?) they DID code completly in ones in zeros. I believe he has some code from a pong game he made somewhere... Anyways, can''t speak for myself - can''t find an assembly compiler that''s easy to use :-).

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
Here''s a good book on assembly:

http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/
quote:Original post by Prototype
False (the same would apply for any compiler).
Assembly is considered a second level language, while entering 0''s and 1''s is first level.

No, the thing is, Assembly converts DIRECTLY into 1''s and 0''s other languages don''t. Assembly really is like writing in 1''s and 0''s but with words and opcodes to make it easier to remember

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement