Game Programming : A 2D Based Platformer

Started by
5 comments, last by Edday 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi people, firstly i''d like to introduce myself seeing as i''m new to these forums! I am a NewB programmer, and am in quite a dilemma at the moment. I have recently bought Game Programming : All In One, and have almost completed the whole of the C++ Section, the first part of the book. The problem is, 1. It''s all console based, so this isn''t actually helping me, i understand it all but i find it quite pointless writing it. I know that i should ''crawl before i walk'' but i actually understand the concepts. Also, i was wondering if i''m too old to be at this level of programming. I''m 16 and i''m only at the end of learning C++, i read some post where most people started at the age of 14, some guy even started at 8!! Does this mean i''m way behind??? The main problem i have is that i get bored learning things about console based stuff. I''d much rather read something interesting about Direct X, does anyone see where i''m coming from? If so, could you like perhaps, point me in the right direction/tell me how you did it? My aim in the end is just to make a 2D Platformer, but at this rate, it feels like i''ll never get there - seriously. Alot of things keep putting me off, like when i read some guy''s just designed a cool 3D engine and then i just think, f*ck i could never program that! Can anyone help?
Advertisement
believe me you never too old.
i''m way older than you (not gonna tell though) and i''m starting myself.
also look in the For beginners section and www.gametutorials.com.
they have some games (in console mode) you can play with.
no one and i mean no one learns all of C++.
if you understand the concepts and then practice them.
ALOT!

and don''t worry about the other posts.
they''ve been practicing and honing their skills before you were.
eventually you will get there.

so summary: For Beginners and www.gametutorials.com and "practice, practice, practice."

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Well that''s because the examples are boring, make games in C++ console mode. Trust me DirectX Is NOT fun at all if you arn''t very proficient at c++.

Can I take an educated guess about you? Well too bad I''m going to anyway. Your reading through the c++ section and skimming the code. Oh wow I get what that means, on to the next page.Read skim, I get it on to the next. There is a HUGE difference between reading about the concept and implementing it.

I suggest this make a total console RPG, but everytime you learn about a new feature in c++ use it. Make the game totaly OOP lots of polymorphism, inheritance, linked list, binary trees. Make the console game as CHALLENGING technicly as you can. I think that helps out so much in the learning phase.

It''s really not a smart idea to jump into directx because you will have a really hard time and get discouraged easilly. Your not to old to start programming btw.
quote:Original post by ph33r
Make the game totaly OOP lots of polymorphism, inheritance, linked list, binary trees. Make the console game as CHALLENGING technicly as you can.

That sounds like NO FUN at all!

quote:Original post by ph33r
I suggest this make a total console RPG, but everytime you learn about a new feature in c++ use it. Make the game totaly OOP lots of polymorphism, inheritance, linked list, binary trees. Make the console game as CHALLENGING technicly as you can. I think that helps out so much in the learning phase.

Please don't say such things to impressionable newbies. First of all, trying to make a complicated RPG when you've never made a game before is the easiest way to get horribly discouraged and give up forever. Learning DirectX would be much easier than trying to make a console RPG as a first game. Second, "Make the game totaly OOP lots of polymorphism, inheritance, linked list, binary trees" is a guaranteed way to screw up a game design. The point of C++ is that it is a very effective language for making clean, powerful and flexible program designs. I'm all for OOP, but using complicated language structures just because you can is almost guaranteed to leave you with messy and unmaintainable code. It's much more important to practice making clean and effective code than to make elaborate and pointless inheritance trees because writing complicated code is cool.

< /rant >

Edday, I suggest that if you feel that you are comfortable with C++, know all the syntax, and can write programs of reasonable complexity (without looking in your book!), you should go right ahead and learn some DirectX. Once you can draw some pictures on the screen, it'll be much more interesting to learn how to use the advanced features of C++, since you'll actually be able to use them in a game.

[edited by - micepick on October 15, 2002 10:17:52 PM]
quote:Also, i was wondering if i''m too old to be at this level of programming. I''m 16 and i''m only at the end of learning C++, i read some post where most people started at the age of 14, some guy even started at 8!! Does this mean i''m way behind???

Man, please. Ever heard the term "embellished statements"? Most people, if they did a little BASIC when they were 8, 10, 14 whatever, think they are the l33t hax0r programmer d00d. I know there are a few people who actually do get it, but they are few and far between. So please don''t drown in the B.S. Now the truth: the learning curve for programming is steep and the path is rough. However, you can be proficient fairly quickly provided that you are motivated and can put some time into studying. Reading is not enough, you need to write some code, any code, just start making little projects, today even! Code "guess the number", "tic-tac-toe", whatever it takes so that you can say "I finished an actual coding project". When you see some guy''s awesome 3D engine, just remember, he had to start from where you are right now. Don''t get intimidated or overwhelmed by what others are doing. If there is something in someone''s code that you think would help you, ask about that specific part and just "ignore" the rest. Feel free to "Ohhh and Ahhh", but don''t try to code something you know you are not ready for, or worse go down the copy-paste route. I don''t mean you shouldn''t challege yourself, just know your limitations. If you attempt too many huge projects and keep failing because the goal was too lofty to begin with, you will quickly burn out and give up altogether. Noone just sits down and cranks out a kick ass game, 3d engine, or whatever. It takes time, and you are always building on what you learned in previous projects so that you accumulate these little building blocks. Over time, you put all the building blocks together and you eventually get something cool, like a bad ass 3d engine. Just stick with it and you will percivere.
K, thanks guys you''ve all been really helpful. I think i''m just gonna try designing a game in console or something first and then i''ll attempt harder stuff(to hone my C++ skills). But yeah, thanks alot you''ve been great .
Edday

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement