Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sethiroth

.net for game development

Well, this may have been asked before but can do a search for it so yeah i thought i would just ask. I''ve been using vc++ 6 for all my game development and was curious what your opinions were on using .net for game development. would it be a worth while transition for me?

it''s slower... as it is interpreted... how much slower than compiled machine code depends.

ms said msil(compiled .net code) using directx9 would run 95% of the speed of its machine code counterpart.

Guest Anonymous Poster
he''s talking about the compiler, not the language.... MS Visual C++ .NET is actually just MS Visual C++ 7.0. Yes, it''s better than 6.0 and actually produces faster smaller programs. Very good for game development.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It requires quite a lot from your computer. You need at least 256MB RAM to have it running smooth, although it works with less. It also has a few bugs and I wouldn''t mind a service pack soon

But of course it has a few new features that once you''ve gotten used to, you can''t be without... it''s worth an upgrade if your computer can handle it.

quote:

it''s slower... as it is interpreted... how much slower than compiled machine code depends

It isn''t interpreted. It is compiled before it is run, every time. While it is a bit slower right now, if you think about it, there is actually potential for it to be faster (except for slightly longer load times while it is compiled) - if there are certain optimisations which can only be done for certain computers, JIT compilation allows these to be used where possible without having to add the extra baggage to other systems. Also, a program can make use of other optimisations even if they didn''t exist when the program was made. However, I don''t think any of this has actually been done, so it is a bit of a moot point

Trying is the first step towards failure.

You can use the .NET SDK with the VC6 IDE. Download the SDK from MS Website, and put the .NET SDK directories at the top of "bin","include" and "lib" in options -> directories.

The VC++ 7 (.NET) STL implemention is finally useable.

cheers,
Stephan

OpenMountains | Open source snowboard simulation - some day.

AP: you can''t have the best of both worlds

to use the .net libraries, you must compile with the /clr switch, which will produce an msil exe. (which i inncorrectly said was interpreted, but as ragonastick said, it is compiled agian with the JIT compiler at run-time)

if your not using the .net libraries, then sure, its just an advanced version of vc6.

VC++ 7 is great. C# and .net are pretty nifty too. But the big problem is virtually no one has the .net runtime installed. It''s a 20mb redist. package. That kills it for the shareware / indie market. Maybe in a few years. I am using it to make my tools now, and it really has some nice features and stuff for rapid development. I thought it was worth the jump even when without the C# / .net stuff, but then again I came from VC++ 5 so just the Intellisense was worth it to me ( how did I ever live without that??? ).

Jack

I have been using .NET since it was beta and I love it. It was a pain to install (around 2hrs)and a little awkward at first to get use to but after you do get use to it there is no going back.

Also I havent noticed a speed decreased in the programs that I have compiled and or created, maybe others have but I havent... it runs great.

Last but not least the C++ libs are finally up to date with the standard, very cool features to play with especially if your working with a group where everyone is using it, the task list functionality is worth it alone.

Like I said if you can get it, then use it

Later,

--------------------------------
#include <a_insomniac.h>

Programmer/Artist
MAD MOTION STUDIOS
http://www.aka-morpheus.com
"...if it aint D3D it aint me"

[edited by - a_insomniac on October 16, 2002 3:08:19 PM]

I''ve been using .NET for awhile now mostly for business stuff. That is what it is good for, not games. Two of my major problems with .NET are the ease of decompilation (so easy to rip off someone''s code it is silly) and dealing with the overhead of the .NET framework. Managed code is great in the biz world, but games?

I have done some game stuff with C#, if you go to the http://www.gotdotnet.com/terrarium/ page, you can see a whole game written in .NET. Was cool for me as I won an XBox...

Nothing beats C++ for speed/ease of coding/portability.

Using the word ".NET" is a very broad statement, there are a plethora of languages that fit under the CLR umbrella...

I think the topic was more or less using .NET as a compiler than using C# the language...

Who would give up C++ over C# to even code games is beyond me but anyone can do as they please. So from the aspect of developing games using .NET "The compiler" it works great. And if you are worried about all this B.S. talk of "managed code" and "over head" ... pure rhertoric... it is easily disabled in the options So you can still code without the "managed" B.S.

Hands down the .NET development enviornment is more intuitive and meets the needs of todays programmer more than any other compiler or suite on the market and trust me I have used and seen my share.

Not to mention that the new compiler produces some of the fastest binaries on the market... thats if you believe benchmarks

Later,

--------------------------------
#include <a_insomniac.h>

Programmer/Artist
MAD MOTION STUDIOS
http://www.aka-morpheus.com
"...if it aint D3D it aint me"